Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just switched to the Cab-2 Legacy control. I replaced a Cab-1L/Base-1L system. I cannot get the Cab-1L to connect to the legacy base. I have tried changing channels. When I do this I get three beeps from the CAB-1L indicating the base was not found. The Cab-1L/Base-1L combination works fine.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

jheidt

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Did you change channels on the remote or the base? I have Cab1L and Cab2 as well. I have my Legacy base programmed to channel 1.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Denny,

Thanks for the reply.

Started with the default 1 on everything.. The CAB-1 didn't work, so then I changed the base, the CAB-2 and the CAB-1. Cab-2 worked fine. The CAB-1 indicated it couldn't find the base.

I am going to get the BASE-1L out to make sure the CAB-1L will still talk to it.

Joe

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Good place to start. I wasn't coming up with any good ideas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put the BASE-1L, back in service, and took the Legacy base off. The CAB-1L worked properly . Could change channels on both, and it worked perfectly. Removed the BASE-1L and reattached the Legacy base. The CAB-1L could not find the base when seeing the channel.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
That's really odd. Gunrunnerjohn will be more help. I had no problem finding the channel with my Cab1L. Did you try each channel?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't try every channel. Next thing to do. Its not a distance problem. I am standing right next to the base.

The CAB-2/Legacy bas are running v 1.2. Any chance it needs a later version?

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
This is a little off the wall, but when's the last time you changed the batteries?

·
Admin
43,718 Posts
Upgrade the Legacy base to the current version. I suspect 1.2 is probably the major issue, a significant change in connectivity took place with 1.3, but currently you can use 1.6 for the base and 1.61 for the CAB2.

FWIW, you'll have to get someone to "cook" the black modules for you to upgrade 1.2 as 1.3 was the first version that allowed you to create upgrade modules.

Here's the Lionel page with all the updates for the Legacy system.

Lionel Legacy Updates

At the bottom of the list is the Legacy System Utility that is the program used to create the upgrade modules.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gunrunnerjohn,

Thank you for the response. I will get on the upgrades and see what happens.

Joe

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
This has happened to my Cab1 three times. I had to send it back to Lionel. It is still under warrenty. If you try John's suggestion and it woeks, please let me know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wood,

Will do. Ordered the 1.3 update from Lionel yesterday (3 / 4). Don't know how long they take to send it. Also ordered a USB to serial cable so I can download the later versions.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Wood,

Will do. Ordered the 1.3 update from Lionel yesterday (3 / 4). Don't know how long they take to send it. Also ordered a USB to serial cable so I can download the later versions.
J - Did you order the USB to Serial cable from Lionel? Or did you get an off the shelf cable?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got one from Amazon. Should work.

Surprised Lionel hasn't gone to a USB connection and flash drive for updates, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks to everyone that had suggestions. I received the version 1.3 modules today. As Gunrunnerjohn surmised, updating to 1.3 solved the problem. The CAB-1L worked properly after the update.

Lionel provides the 1.3 update free of charge. They also send it out quickly, and use three day delivery.

I tried the utility program using the RS232 to USB cable and it worked fine. You don't need the Y cable.

Thanks again to everyone.

Joe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts