Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Class A is priced about what I thought it would go for. Darn Lionel had to bring back the B&A Berkshire. In fact I like every steamer in the catalog but my wallet doesn't go that far. Like the three pack stock cars in NYC but not the price of 450.00:mad:

WWW.LIONEL.COM

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
This is the first time in years a few things jumped out at me. I like the NYC&HR Woodside cars but then saw the price!!!!!. 6 cars for $1350. My 12 car GGD 20th Century cars were only a couple of hundred more. May have considered the SP Berk if it came with the oil tender.

Pete

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. A lot of interesting stuff there. I like the Hell Gate design of the base 3. Also, like that they did a Black River and Western train. But same as every other year I look at a Lionel catalog, there is nothing there that would entice me to pay Lionel prices.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I noticed a lot of the diesels are marked "ALL NEW PRODUCT". The F7's in particular appear to be the same as always and I don't see any new features in the description. I'm not that familiar with Lionel products so if anyone knows what's all new, I'd love to know. SD40-2's? How are those "All new"? Weird.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Saw a few items that would look great on the S&Y RR, but really can't see paying the big bucks for them. Check book is safe from the big ticket items, probably will buy a few more Menards oil tankers at $25 a pop.

Bill

·
Registered
O Scale MTH and Lionel 1952 set and newer
62 Posts
Prices are "eye-watering"! But you have to give them some credit - the catalog is huge and there seems to be a lot of options for build your own.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Off the cuff comments:
At first, I was thinking the Lionchief Plus 2.0 S-2 turbine might have been early Railking tooling? The thick wired tether and the metal drawbar with 2 holes just definitely made me think it was Railking.
Further review, the headlight on the boiler front is different so I'm unsure if they just modified the boiler front or they are not in any way related. I hate the typical plastic connector drawbar Lionchief and LC+ has been using for some time, but just odd to see a wired tether on a modern Lionel.
Train Wheel Rolling stock Product Vehicle

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Since the catalog is out I don’t see a problem with giving a link to the zoom meeting. There is some more detail about a few items particularly how they differ from previous releases. It was done on two days. This is just the scale stuff.

Pete

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Some observations after a quick glance. They are still using the stamped metal folded handrails. Proportions of the S2 look just strange. Some interesting accessories. Nothing there that is going to get me out of my post-war and customs. I could see some nice parts though!:ROFLMAO:;):ROFLMAO:

·
Admin
46,723 Posts
The prices are in outer space, so not much is calling very loud. :) I am looking at the PRR A-5 switcher, I might consider one of those. The UP rocket booster train is cool, but the price is not so cool...

The Woodside passenger cars are now selling for $225/ea, it was only a handful of years ago that the same molds from MTH were selling for half that! A bobber caboose for $119? Lionel's prices are getting totally out of hand!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Impressed that some of the LionChief locos, including the 44 tonner, are MSRP of $250 so actual street price might be close to $200 at some retailers. This is great value for a command loco, although you cannot operate them in conventional mode. Just LionChief remote, universal remote or the app. Operable via the new cab3 base according to the information released.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Nice to see the old K-Line/Lionchief PRR A5 finally getting proper valve gear. Hoping I can add that to my K-Line engine.

Pete

·
Registered
287 Posts
The Santa Fe 5011 class 2-10-4 is for sure MTH tooling. Surprisingly thorough it's not crazy overpriced. Last time MTH produced it was 2005 and they wanted $1100 MSRP with PS2 3V. That comes out to about $1600 in 2022 dollars. So at $1700 Lionel is surprisingly in the ballpark. You get Legacy and whistle steam now, but the MTH model had a nice, big Pittman.

I've got 2 MTH Santa Fe 2-10-4s and see no reason to get the Legacy version.
Train Wheel Rolling stock Steam engine Rolling

·
Registered
722 Posts
On page 108-109, are the Amtrak passenger cars from MTH tooling? I never knew Lionel to make 18" passenger cars in ABS.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts