Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Only one item in my primary road names, and that was not in Legacy. Pricing for diesel Legacy is insane.

I have most everything I want. I have $7,000 or more "ordered" from 3rd Rail, Atlas, and Lionel. I do not like having so much committed, but what I ordered, if received, would represent most of what I need. So, with no Rock Island, no CB & Q and no worthwhile Milwaukee Road, I seriously do not see me ordering anything.

In terms of rolling stock - I generally run 1940's to 1970's, but I have been wanting to add the black GATX or similar tank cars, and Husky Stacks. This catalog had no tank cars in Premier, unless I missed them.

The Husky Stacks are $169.99 or $189.99 for one. (Normal / Graffiti)

Now, I don't bring this up to say I want or don't want them, but a rising tide will lift the ebay seller's boats. They are looking at this catalog and smiling ear to ear.

Now the MTH Premier and such on ebay for $109.99 plus shipping will look like a bargain. I would be a buyer of Lionel Legacy / Premier Husky Stacks in full 1:48 with great detail for $100, but those days are long gone. If a fellow wanted to run 15 Husky Stacks and a Legacy freight locomotive, you are looking at a $3500 commitment, maybe more.

I think it is odd how Lionel does their catalogs. There are a lot of road names with nothing to buy. Not just mine, but it seemed like a lot of road names are left out. Since they are Built to Order, why not have more diversity, 3rd Rail does.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
On page 108-109, are the Amtrak passenger cars from MTH tooling? I never knew Lionel to make 18" passenger cars in ABS.
They appear to be the same ones produced with Lionel's TMCC Amtrak HHP set from a number of years ago. They weren't made for very long. I have a set of them that I bought from a fellow club Member who downsized to the MTH 15" cars which fit his layout better. They're pretty nice for what they are. Not sure they're worth what Lionel is asking though.

·
Registered
865 Posts
glad to see the fire station and transfer dock kept alive
would have liked to see an operating McDonalds and mels diner

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
... Not just mine, but it seemed like a lot of road names are left out. Since they are Built to Order, why not have more diversity, 3rd Rail does.
Perhaps offering many road names presents a problem. Pre orders split between so many names there's not enough orders in any one name to justify a batch or economies of scale.

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,231 Posts
I like the John Bull display train on the flat beds, sold out.
I wonder why they didn't label it C&A.
It was built for the Camden and Amboy Railroad, the first railroad built in New Jersey. (y)
Years later the C&A shipped it to Harrisburg with 2 coaches. I guess the is why they labeled it for the Pennsylvania RR.

I like a lot of things in there, it is the price and preorder I don't like.
Years ago I preordered and paid, I waited for almost a year, just to get my money back, because they didn't built it.
So I just look and dream now. :)

Reactions: Patrick1544

·
Registered
462 Posts
After perusing Lionel's catalog, Barf!:sick::censored: and Zoiks!o_O:eek: is all I got to say, in reference to their offerings and their prices.

Looks like I'll be doing most of my shopping at train shows and used train dealers for the rest of this year.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
How did the F7's escalate so fast?? I like the Soo but $1200 for an AA... :(

I bought my SF ABA Super Bass B used one year old for $800.

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
I saw nothing I really wanted. But it looks like a good catalog. Maybe its just me . . .

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I was checking the back of the catalog and noticed the buildings. Twenty years ago when some of these were released you get get them for 12-15 bucks on blowout. Thats all I paid for mine. Catalog price today is $119.
Feels like we are in the Twilight Zone.

Pete

·
Registered
273 Posts
Looking through it again I think I'm going to order both of the 6 car sets of DM&IR ore cars. I've wanted some of them for my Premier DM&IR Yellowstone to pull and on the used market 6 packs are selling for close to the $199 price in this catalog. With a discount from a dealer it'll end up being cheaper just to order brand new cars.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Looks like Lionel is rolling the dice in hopes that their pricing structure does not hurt pre-order sales. For me, I did not see anything that was a must have at the price listed even with a dealer discount. IMO, the pricing structure will force a lot of Lionel customers that were hesitant in the past to place an order to look at the secondary market for their purchases. Except for a few of the gigantic dealers I doubt their will be much purchased by the average dealer that is not a customer pre-order. So if it is a must have, in most cases you will have to pre-order the item and keep your fingers crossed that Lionel doesn't screw it up.

Bill

·
Admin
46,686 Posts
Nice to see the old K-Line/Lionchief PRR A5 finally getting proper valve gear. Hoping I can add that to my K-Line engine.
Pete, that's one of the few things in the catalog that I'm seriously considering. Not a bad price for a nice switcher.
The Santa Fe 5011 class 2-10-4 is for sure MTH tooling. Surprisingly thorough it's not crazy overpriced. Last time MTH produced it was 2005 and they wanted $1100 MSRP with PS2 3V. That comes out to about $1600 in 2022 dollars. So at $1700 Lionel is surprisingly in the ballpark. You get Legacy and whistle steam now, but the MTH model had a nice, big Pittman.
You can be sure this new model does not have the Pittman motor. ;) I have the Lionel 2-10-4 from several years ago, I don't need another one. ;)

21 - 40 of 82 Posts