Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I won an abused loco on evilbay - shell shows heat distortion on brakeman’s side. Amazingly the engineer’s side looks pristine so in my feeble mind I think the damage is cosmetic....won’t know for sure till it shows up at my door. In any event the shell doesn’t appear salvageable so provided I can get it running I’ll replace it and move on.

The thing about these vintage diesels is that they lack some details that in my opinion should be there. I get why they’re omitted - cost, damage,
etc - but it leaves one looking for more. Not that this will ever be confused with a contest quality locomotive. Now I’m more familiar with HO and the slew of superdetailing parts available to do almost anything. I see Tichy has drop grabs in brass so I’ll pick up a few packages to have some on hand.

How about eyebolts? Tichy has them in plastic but I want formed wire. Source?

And how about a handrail kit - formed wire with stanchions? **The existing stamped railings are in good shape but I wanna take it up a notch.

How about a fuel tank? The ones on these diesels look woefully undersized. Again I get the reasoning behind it but there has to be something better that doesn’t look like it shrunk in a drier.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Although deformed, it looks good. Thermoplastic malleability responds well at the correct temperature (depends on the specific plastic). Have you thought about trying to correct the bulge with heat? Perhaps just as a temporary fix ....

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the longterm goal is that this unit, in whatever iteration, pulls my wife’s MTH M&M Christmas train. We have several of the MTH M&M Christmas cars and some generic ones that aren’t season specific.

If it was just the side...maybe I’d try some heat to straighten it back out. But the one pic shows the roof started to collapse a bit near the dynamic brake blister. So fixing that and the side may be a bit too much. And there are plans for custom paintwork as this one doesn’t match anything in my collection or my kiddos.

I’m watching a couple MTH shells which have more detail and it’d be a way to get an RS11 which I have always liked the notched ends on. The EMD trucks wouldn’t bother me as Conrail put EMD gear into their Alcos towards the end to extend their lives. Their slugs ran on EMD trucks afterall.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it yesterday and it runs! Lubed it up, tried it first on a 9v battery to make sure everything turned then tossed it on the layout. So there’s the good news as it cycles through F-N-R without any problems.

Now the bad news...shell is a total loss. What’s not shown in the pic is that the battery boxes under the cab deformed and the cab window drooped. No amount of heat is getting that shell back in shape unless its melted down completed and its used to fill a new mold.

Turns out though that the wife likes the UP GP30 from Williams to pull her train and it just so happens they sell a complete body shell in their parts for $55. Seems to have everything I was looking for so I’ll cannibalize the Lionel drive components and get a running diesel out of it all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Very interesting. Sparks a memory from the early '80s. I was selling some stuff at a train meet, in Hamburg I believe. I loaded up my VW and off my son and I went. Since it was cold weather the heater was on. Some of the boxes of trains were on the floor in front of the rear seat. Anyone who has ever owned an older VW is familiar with the heating system. As long as you're moving you get heat. Since most of my driving was on highways, the heater worked rather well. Too well in fact. A GM&O GP-20 was sitting right in front of the round heater opening below the front on the rear seat. Oddly enough the body warped rather severely, but the box and styrofoam showed little damage. I think someone purchased it for $20.00.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gp30 shell is ordered. Will need to combine it and the Lionel mechanism to get a working loco. More to come...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well for reasons I still cannot comprehend, the GP30 shell was last seen in the Buffalo NY USPS 30 min from my house....7days ago. Bachmann/Williams has been as useful as....you fill in the blank. They are very competent at resending the USPS tracking site to my email....which I already have which is why I know its been sitting supposedly 30 min from my house for now 7 days straight.

Pretty much they’ve washed their hands of it. I’ve run into poor customer service before but boy oh boy do they take the cake.

·
Registered
58 Posts
"Bachmann/Williams has been as useful as".....mamory glands on a bull, to keep it clean.....LOL

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Well for reasons I still cannot comprehend, the GP30 shell was last seen in the Buffalo NY USPS 30 min from my house....7days ago. Bachmann/Williams has been as useful as....you fill in the blank. They are very competent at resending the USPS tracking site to my email....which I already have which is why I know its been sitting supposedly 30 min from my house for now 7 days straight.

Pretty much they’ve washed their hands of it. I’ve run into poor customer service before but boy oh boy do they take the cake.
What you would have Bachmann customer services do?

For the recipient of a package, USPS has an "complaint" page. I believe it's available when uou see the results of a package tracking request. I used it once and got a call right away - it must "ding" their measured performance metrics.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For starters...track their gosh darn freakin frackin package. The customer shouldn’t be shagging this.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, and if they didn’t insure it, then someone’s out the money if it truly gets lost. Who will it be?

·
Registered
633 Posts
The Post Office is having extreme problems with packages these days. I have been waiting for a parcel for over 5 weeks when in the past I have gotten it in 4-5 days from the same shipper. My package has not left the the originating Post Office in 5 weeks. I have called the shipper and he explained that the Post Office is in bad shape. The Postmaster General is being asked to resign, the Post Office budget has been cut, and many employees are resigning. This means packages are not being moved. First Class mail is not affected. I called the Post Office in question, and spoke to the Postmaster there. He said the package should have moved, but since it has not, it is either in the dead letter bin, or damaged. There are far more packages in the system now than ever before, and the system can't handle it.

UPS, FedEx, DHL,etc. are no better off, as they are getting bombarded with packages, and their systems can't handle them either.
Goodness, what will happen with the Christmas season package shipments?

Larry

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Post Office is having extreme problems with packages these days. I have been waiting for a parcel for over 5 weeks when in the past I have gotten it in 4-5 days from the same shipper. My package has not left the the originating Post Office in 5 weeks. I have called the shipper and he explained that the Post Office is in bad shape. The Postmaster General is being asked to resign, the Post Office budget has been cut, and many employees are resigning. This means packages are not being moved. First Class mail is not affected. I called the Post Office in question, and spoke to the Postmaster there. He said the package should have moved, but since it has not, it is either in the dead letter bin, or damaged. There are far more packages in the system now than ever before, and the system can't handle it.

UPS, FedEx, DHL,etc. are no better off, as they are getting bombarded with packages, and their systems can't handle them either.
Goodness, what will happen with the Christmas season package shipments?

Larry
I agree with your sentiments on USPS. It's not the postal system's fault, it's what's been done to it these past six months. I mean, hire a Postmaster General who has a major financial interest in a direct competitor????

I differ on FedEx. I've been shipping from e-bay sales and purchases for years. By far my best experience has been with FedEx. Except for books and small packages, I ship with them exclusively. Had a bad experience with UPS years back where they crushed a box. I had taken insurance, but they initially denied it saying the box was that way when they got it! They eventually paid, but it took time. PO was better when they broke stuff, but I noticed a few years ago their rate for larger (train sized) packages surpassed that of FedEx Smart Post. That's when I stopped using USPS for packages. Recently, FedEx Smart Post has gotten to be more expensive than FedEx ground. Well, that's a no-brainer. I'll ship FedEx ground/home delivery any day over USPS for expensive trains.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I had been waiting on a package from Germany for nearly 5 months stuck at ISC Chicago. USPS apologized for losing it.

It turned up back in Germany. Idiots at USPS gave no explanation. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Received official word from USPS last night....tis lost. I figured as much as let’s get real....it doesn’t sit somewhere for 8 straight days.

Let’s see how Bachmann/Williams responds as I offered them (2) different options yesterday....resend the order and hope to heck it doesn’t end up like this one did OR issue a refund as its clear as day I ain’t getting this one. Even offered that after either option should this arrive at my door by some miracle that I’ll ship the package back at my cost.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No word from Bachmann/Williams....go figure. Customer Service at its finest.

Anywho, USPS finally found the package and it was delivered yesterday afternoon.

Now to figure out how to take the guts from this GP20 and move it under the GP30. And then the fun of wiring in the lights that came with the shell...got some learning to do as to what all the wires do....

**It’s what my wife wanted to pull her M&M train. Since I’ve been buying the parts for her diesel piecemeal I’ve been able to spread out the cost.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Starting to prepare for surgery. It’s going to be delayed just a touch as someone was here before me who should not be allowed to own/use tools. Wires crimped or rusted or insulation worn clear off. Screws missing. Coverplates crimping wires. It’s a royal mess in there.

Took about an hour on the front truck after tracing wires, getting them free of the e-unit, disassemble/reassemble, and test.

Runs better especially when wires aren’t shorting out. Now to do the same to the rear.

Anyone have a good rattle can (spray can, spray bomb) match for the UP grey? Kinda looks close to Rustoleum primer...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts