Model Train Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,465 Posts
Electrical tape in the right place should prevent the problem.....
For the money you shell out on these you should not have a problem like this.
Like said, that is just putting a band-aid on it.
Not a solution to the problem, eventually the tape will wear out causing a bigger problem if you don't catch it quick.

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
Mine firmly planted and doesn't seem to be able to move if I tried hard to move it. Working from the principle that if not broken don't fix it, I did not explore any more. But thank you for the warning. Could have happened to mine, too.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Heard back from Mario at Mario’s trains. He told me to send it back to them and they will either repair or replace it. I still have to pay the shipping but hopefully it won’t take two months or more to get it back from Lionel.

This is really a colorful engine and really close to the #225 at Reading and Northern in Reading PA.

·
Premium Member
10,268 Posts
For the money you shell out on these you should not have a problem like this.
Like said, that is just putting a band-aid on it.
Not a solution to the problem, eventually the tape will wear out causing a bigger problem if you don't catch it quick.
All true Ed, should be perfect when paying the big money....but, applying tape would be a fix, perhaps not permanent, but there is a lot of tape on a roll.....

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,465 Posts
All true Ed, should be perfect when paying the big money....but, applying tape would be a fix, perhaps not permanent, but there is a lot of tape on a roll.....
So if you bought a $500 plus HO scale locomotive and in order to run right you had to tape the motor down, you wouldn't complain about that? You would be good with your purchase?

·
Premium Member
10,268 Posts
I didn’t say that Ed.....read my words, I actually agreed with you....I merely said the electrical tape would work, at least until it wore thru.....depending on how bid a hassle it is to return, it might be easier....

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Dropped off at UPS this morning. $15 to ship. Mario’s agreed to either repair or replace. I know I could have sent it to Lionel and they would have paid the shipping but it could take two months or more to get it back.

Hopefully Mario’s will not take that long.

I thought about using electrical tape, I had to do that with my U28c, but decided against that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Kapton tape is much better than either electrical or packing tape. Heat proof, durable commonly used as insulator when electrically isolating the motor from the frame when installing decoders in N scale locomotives. Even the factories use it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Kapton tape is much better than either electrical or packing tape. Heat proof, durable commonly used as insulator when electrically isolating the motor from the frame when installing decoders in N scale locomotives. Even the factories use it.
Another solution is to use E6000, it's a silicone type adhesive. Place it on the bottom and on both sides as a insulator from the frame. It's pliable and strong

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
UPS confirmed that Mario’s got it on Wednesday. They agreed to either repair it or replace it. As someone pointed out it the engine might have to be dissembled to remove boards to get to the insulator or securing nut inside.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Doesn't working on an engine void any warranty?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Not if you are a Lionel Service Center. Anyway, I did not work on the engine but simply tightened the screw holding the roller pickup on.

If Lionel had built the 4-6-0 the same way they did the H10 the problem never would have happened.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts