Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I received the #990 I purchased off ebay. At the time, I was not aware of Lionel's letter to have it sent to them if I were to upgrade to v1.2. Well, without even thinking, I upgraded straight to v1.4. using the modules that came with my ZW-L. For the moment, everything seems to be going well. Three legacy engines ran very well with full control. This system is pretty sweet by the way, and worth the money in my opinion.

The only issue that I find slightly annoying, is how the speed bar goes opposite when I want to increase or decrease speed from the red dial. Now this doesn't always happen, but I find myself having to creep up slowly on the dial and even then it may get finicky. However, I'm still going over the manual (again and again) learning about the subtle speed controls and settings available. It took me half the day to get the trains on different track to run at alterenate times.

Anyway, I just want to know if anyone else came across this issue? Or should I make a phone call to Lionel tomorrow?

Aside from this minor issue, the unit performed beautifully and made my train experience a lot more enjoyable.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

·
Admin
44,194 Posts
Look at the bottom of the unit. Is there a dot or stripe of silver paint? If so, it has the mandatory update.

I've never seen or heard of the speed bar working backwards, that's a new one on me!

You might give a try to updating it to 1.51, which is the current version of firmware.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi gunrunnerjohn, I was hoping you would pop on by. I know you own the #990 yourself. Unfortunately my unit does not have any silver dots or paint. I even took out the batteries and looked inside. Here is another minor issue i've come across. When I'm trying to use the jog wheel to name something alphabetically, it does the same thing as with the speed function. It's minor and I mange to get things named. It's just trying to go left and it goes right.

At the moment, I'm running my J1A Texas. I find it to be easier using the slider for the train brake. Everything else seems to work fine.

What was the purpose of the Lionel 1.2 update? Was there a hardware or firmware issue that only they could impliment? Also, do you think that v1.5 might clear things up?

·
Admin
44,194 Posts
I'm guessing the reason you're having the problem is the unit has to go back for the update.

The good news is that Lionel is currently handling all of the Legacy updates and repairs on an extended warranty basis, so it should be free. Also, if you're a military veteran, mention that and they'll pay shipping both ways!

Just tell them that you updated it without knowing about the factory update required, and they'll fix it and return it.

·
Admin
44,194 Posts
Does it make a difference if I am not the original owner? That is a bit of a concern.
Not to me. ;)

Seriously, I bought my #993 expansion set used, and I sent it back for updates without any problem. Give it a try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts