Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Lionel Legacy F3B #6-38705 and for the life of me I can't get the shell off. I removed the six screws from the bottom that hold the shell on, but it acts like it's still firmly screwed together. Anyone pulled one of these apart before? I'm sure the A units are held together the same way.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You can view an exploded parts view of your B unit at Lionel's website. That might help assure you are identifying the correct screws to remove should that be the problem.

·
Registered
898 Posts
The parts diagram and a related side view of this model appears to show that it has stepladders at each corner. Are these screwed through the body shell to the frame or are they otherwise preventing the shell from coming free? I mention it because I have a couple of E units where those ladders stopped the shell coming off. (They were mounted to the frame with very small screws but the real problem was they were fitted through slots in the body shell and had to be taken off before it would budge.)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved finally! Thanks for all the responses. It turned out the mounting posts from the shell had basically become glued to the frame when it was assembled at the factory and the paint wasn't totally cured. I had to put a screw down into each mounting post hole and tap on it with a pair of pliers. They broke loose one by one. All that work for one little squeak inside the locomotive. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts