Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone operating the lionel lion chief A5 0-4-0 switcher on 0-27 curves?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to believe it won't do them with only four wheels, but I've never tried it. I have several of the K-Line A-5's, same size, I think even the same molds.
I read somewhere that it could be a problem because of the coupling between the engine and tender, coupled too short, or something like that, makes the tender jump off the track...:dunno:

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
The drawbar may be the limiting factor but it would be fairly easy to fabricate a longer one.

Pete

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The drawbar may be the limiting factor but it would be fairly easy to fabricate a longer one.

Pete
Yes it would be easy to fabricate one if that is the problem.
I am going to find out, been wanting the A5 switcher for a while, i think i have waited long enough, price has dropped so it`s now or never..
Thanks Pete..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Yes it would be easy to fabricate one if that is the problem.
Perhaps, narrowing the stock draw-bar might work. Selectively removing material that contacts the frame on sharp radius curves. And/or narrowing the tender's bar that may contact its truck or wheels. That might allow a wider swing. The bodies seem to have enough clearance.

A5.png

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps, narrowing the stock draw-bar might work. Selectively removing material that contacts the frame on sharp radius curves. And/or narrowing the tender's bar that may contact its truck or wheels. That might allow a wider swing. The bodies seem to have enough clearance.

View attachment 528170
Good idea, talked to a train buddy last night that said the draw bar is the problem. He operates his on 031 curves with no problem.
The great thing about the new A5s is it is tethered connected between the loco and tender, runs over switches without loosing contact. Going to order one tonight.
Thank you for your reply...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
The drawbar in the picture is the one that came with the engine. Lionel makes similar ones that are longer. You could check first to see if anything touches simply by drawing a 27" circle on some cardboard using string and a pencil. Its usually the inside corners of the engine and tender that touch.
You could make a temporary drawbar out of a steel or aluminum can if you don't have any brass sheet. The stock ones are .050" thick.

Pete

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The K-Line A-5 is rated for O31, so I think Pete's suggestion to tinker with the drawbar should get you to O27 without much problem. I don't have any O27 around anymore to actually test that suggestion. :)
I ordered one early today, i will work with it when it arrives.
Thanks..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The drawbar in the picture is the one that came with the engine. Lionel makes similar ones that are longer. You could check first to see if anything touches simply by drawing a 27" circle on some cardboard using string and a pencil. Its usually the inside corners of the engine and tender that touch.
You could make a temporary drawbar out of a steel or aluminum can if you don't have any brass sheet. The stock ones are .050" thick.

Pete
When it arrives i will see what it takes to make it work. I have fabricated a lot of things for the layout with brass, plastic and J&B weld.
Thanks..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't imagine it would be too difficult to adapt from O31 to O27 if it's just the drawbar. JB Weld is one of my favorite adhesives, I use it a ton! :)
Yeah, i would lost sometimes without J&B Weld, the greatest build-up material i have found.:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts