Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My z Lionel locomotive 2065 has been acting up lately. The locomotive pulling 8 cars goes around the oval track maybe 2-3 times and then suddenly stops and reversed itself. I stop it make sure the forward switch is correct and start it up again. The same thing happens. How do I fix this?

· Hobo for Life
7,577 Posts
It may be loosing power for a second causing the eunit to cycle. Does it happen on the same spot? Lock it in forward only and see what happens? Clean the track and wheels. If the arm for the e unit is loose , you may be able to tighten it with a tap from a puch and hammer on the rivit. Just a little bit to make the arm not move.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rivit? Okay I will try that as well. Yes it happens in the same two spots in the track. I was wondering whether the track loses power or does not have enough power in those spots. I have had the same 1033 transformer for sixty years. Should I replace it?

· Registered
5,143 Posts
The rivit? Okay I will try that as well. Yes it happens in the same two spots in the track. I was wondering whether the track loses power or does not have enough power in those spots. I have had the same 1033 transformer for sixty years. Should I replace it?
If the 1033 is working fine, it's all you need. But your symptoms point to losing power on the track. Two things to look at: Have you cleaned the track, the Loco's driving wheels and roller pick-ups? And, are the interconnections between tracks electrically solid?

· Yard Master & Research
12,087 Posts
A figure eight has swinging momentum in both directions. I agree with SJM that the lever is moving. Try using some tape to hold the hold the lever. Just place it on the boiler to test it.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the 1033 is working fine, it's all you need. But your symptoms point to losing power on the track. Two things to look at: Have you cleaned the track, the Loco's driving wheels and roller pick-ups? And, are the interconnections between tracks electrically solid?
Thanks for your help! I will try clean 5he track, wheels and rollers!

· Premium Member
MTH O gauge engines,mongrel rolling stock
351 Posts
Get the loco moving forward then move the lockout lever so eunit does not trigger. Run loco and observe if headlight flickers or goes solid off then on, which would indicate bad track connections requiring crimping rail openings for tight fits. Otherwise do the above suggestions.
Careful on the rivet tightening so e-lever phonelic board does not crack. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts