Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a used Lionel TMCC/odyssey C&O Pacific. It is model number 6-11128. The engine has a number of issues.
When I first placed on track, the engine kept tripping the power supply circuit breaker. I determined the pilot/cow catcher was bent and touching the middle rail. I fixed that.

I powered up the engine and had sound and smoke. I programmed it with a #1 assignment and it took the command with a whistle blast. I attempted to run the engine in TMCC but it wouldnt respond to the throttle. It would move if I pressed the boost button however.

I opened up the tender and reset the boards. After that, I had nothing. The lights came on and the smoke would run, but nothing else.

The engine does run in conventional but it is kind of sluggish to start. I did get it to rest once in Tmcc using the reset number 74. It responded by shutting down. After putting the program switch in run, there was still no response.

I suppose it a board issue of some sort. I checked them a few times to make sure they were seated.

Any suggestions?

Tom

·
Admin
44,359 Posts
If you have other TMCC locomotives, first step would be to swap out the R2LC in the locomotive. The boards in the tender are ONLY for sound, so no sense in spending a lot of time in there. The engine will run fine without the tender and all you don't get is sound. You're looking at the wrong end of the horse. :)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The RL2Cis in the locomotive? No wonder nothing looked familiar. Ok let me look.
I wasn’t getting sound in conventional either...

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay. I opened up the engine. Found the boards. A little short on time so I will check the RL2C Tonight.

I get the inclination that this engine was dropped on its nose. The pilot was bent and there may be loose parts in the engine it self...

Tom

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am using just a regular TMCC remote. I will try the R2LC swap tomorrow.

Thanks for the help guys.

Tom

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I replaced the R2LC board and solved the motion control issues. Still no sound at all from the tender.

I removed the Main sound board from another tender Swapped it with the original and the basic sounds like the dynamo and air pumps chugging sounds worked. No bell or whistle though, even with the loco hooked up if that made any difference.

I figure the sound board is shot and the board with the sound chips in it is also not working. I will order the two sound boards from Lionel and see if that solves my problem.

Tom

·
Admin
44,359 Posts
I think you're going a bit overboard without a bit more diagnostics. :) The board with the sound chips on it IS the sound board. The other board is the generic power supply board. Which board did you swap?

If you want to send both boards to me, I'll test them on my test-set and let you know what's actually broken.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The power board. I took one from a Lionel 0-6-0 and put it in the C&O tender. That seemed to get basic sounds going, but no lights or sounds on the tender...

I didn’t swap the sound board as I wasn’t sure if it was okay to do so, having a different part number...

Thank you John. I will send them to you.

Tom

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Tom, if you get any sound the power board is OK. You can swap out RS4 and RS5 boards from any engine. If you put a diesel board in a steam engine you will hear a horn vs a whistle but that will tell you the signal from the R2LC is OK. Also make sure the optical devices in the drawbar are lined up. Thats how the serial data gets from the engine to the tender.

Pete

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Pete.
I will give that a try. The drawbar was badly bent when I received the engine but I think I have it lined up pretty good now....

Tom

·
Admin
44,359 Posts
If you're testing all the functions, you'll need the RS5 board as the coupler and backup light are driven by that board. For RS4 boards, the AD-20 board drives the couplers and lights, that board is not used for RS5. Come to think about it, the RS5 board also receives the IR data, so an RS4 board won't work here.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you John. The coupler and backup light to not work. I will send you the boards.

Tom

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I picked up the two boards for the tender.

I figured the power board was bad, it was.

Replaced it. Now tender makes the basic idling sounds, No bell, Whistle or back up light in TMCC, but engine will run, no chuff.

In conventional, I have bell, whistle and engine runs. No chuffing sound and rear headlight doesn’t come on.

Not sure what to check next. Drawbar seems fine. In TMCC, there is no “acknowledgement “ sound when reversed or pressing the reverse button...

Tom

Tom

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Does the tender start making sounds as soon as track power is applied or after you address the engine? Symptoms reflect no serial data coming from the engine. The chuff switch is in the engine so without communication, no chuff sound.
Pete

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes it does, when power is applied! Does that indicate a tether issue? I don’t seem to be able to address the engine as it doesn’t respond to programming. It does run in TMCC though..

Tom

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Pretty much confirms serial data is not getting from the engine to the tender. If you have another TMCC engine with a wireless tether you can swap engines and verify if the problem follows the engine or the tender but it looks like a problem in the engine. I would pull the shell off the engine, check for lose connections and make sure the wires to the tether are not broken. If there is nothing obvious, further testing might require a scope.
Pete

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay. Thanks Pete. I will get back here with what I find....

Tom

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay. I used a TMCC 2-12-2 tender and the C&O engine worked properly. I mated the C&O tender to the 2-12-2 and it exhibited the problem. I double checked the 2-12-2 and that operated as intended when with its own tender.

So the problem is in the tender. I will open it up and look for loose or broken wires...

Thanks Pete.

Tom

1 - 20 of 39 Posts