Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"As illustrated in Figure 3, rotate the top of the switch stands to throw the switches. These switches are equipped with a non-derailing feature. The train’s wheels automatically throw the blades to the proper position when the train travels toward the converging track. If you experience difficulties, simply throw the switch into the correct position for the train to travel using the switch stand controls." -Lionel FasTrack User Manual

The front truck of our 2-8-2 locomotive doesn't have enough weight to throw the manual switch before derailing.

I watched a Youtube video from a gentleman using the remote switches with the same exact locomotive and the remote switches threw flawlessly and the locomotive never derailed.

We are upgrading our Christmas layout and the potential for the locomotive to to hit a switch out of position has gone up exponentially. After watching his video, I was about to order 4 remote switches ($$$$) when I realized the user manuals imply that the non-derailing feature seems to work the same way. Perhaps the remote switches are easier to throw? Anyone have any experience with this? Perhaps I need to tune up the manual switches, although they are new?

Thanks for any advice.

C

·
0 Posts
The remote switches throw the switch point rather than having the wheels push them. There are insulated rails and the wheels complete the circuit to throw the switch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts