Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping to construct a new "O" gauge layout using "O" gauge (not 027) tubular track and am using a variety of Lionel electric track switches: some new, some old. I have a lot to learn about wiring, repairing and operating these switches, but the immediate problem is that the two 6-5132, 33 switches are rapidly "fluttering" their points when I apply power to run a locomotive. I don't have the manual for these switches. Can anyone advise me on why these two track switches are "fluttering" their switch points like a butterfly in a high breeze? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. BTW: what do "voltage plugs" for 022 switches do?

·
Registered
679 Posts
First, make sure you have insulating pins in the proper rails. See here for the diagram of the old 022 switches. If they are in the proper place, then disconnect the controllers to see if the problem stops. The fixed voltage plug is inserted into the switch motor and an external voltage source is wired to it to allow the switches to operate independently of track power. Usually an accessory terminal of the transformer is used, or possibly a second transformer properly phased to the primary transformer can be used.

Larry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts