Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I have some O Gauge track which appears to be Lionel. The track has black ties and black rails. None of it looks painted and it looks to be manufactured that way.

Anyone run into track like this before?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can't say that I have ever seen track with black rails unless they were painted by the modeler. Come to think of it, did Lionel "T" track, pre-war have dark rails ?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Sounds like TinMan3rail. They clean used track, paint it black and then remove paint from the top of the rails. They call it TinMan's Favorite.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some photos. The track looks factory to me... It came to me in a box with a Lionel 726 engine and cars from 1946.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The track pins do not look like they are Lionel. The track may be of some unknown manufacture, and may have been painted by a previous owner.

Larry

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are the original photos.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I have had the odd piece of Lionel track that had a few of those "pointy" pins mixed in from prior user. No idea who made them. I also have seen some homemade from nails and/or rigid wire.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,635 Posts
What you have is 1938 Americian Flyer O gage track. Identified with the holes on the outside of the rails. Their two rail ties have the same holes so I verified it on page 24 of the 1938 catalog on My Flyer Train

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the comments. I removed one of the track pins, and they are definitely not made from finish nails. They look factory to me.
I would agree with T-Man, that it is likely pre war AF track.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone know why they would have painted it black? None of the insulators have any paint on them so I figure it's factory.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
The insulators look like they were pushed into position as opposed to lifting the center rail out and then replacing them.

There could a be dozen reasons: cover sporadic oxidation, protection in a harsh environment (high humidity) and, of course aesthetic reasons.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts