Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Don’t know that I’ve ever seen a listing categorized by year. Greenberg’s price guide lists them by number and includes the years made. David Doyle’s Prewar guide does the same, but includes some pictures. And McComas & Tuohy Volume 1 has all that and adds some history.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
1915 was the year O gauge trains were introduced by Lionel and the first O gauge steam locomotive was 1930 according to Doyle's book. It looks like perhaps the 257 2-4-0 (forward operation only) and 258 2-4-0 (reverse equipped) were the first.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
1915 was the year O gauge trains were introduced by Lionel and the first O gauge steam locomotive was 1930 according to Doyle's book. It looks like perhaps the 257 2-4-0 (forward operation only) and 258 2-4-0 (reverse equipped) were the first.
And those were tinplate, not die cast locos.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The Doyle books and possibly some others are divided by sections of steam locos, diesel locos, and the various types of rolling stock but they are listed by number within each section. I think Doyle gives a year with each listing. The large TCA Greenberg guides also have the years.
I think some of the guides have listings of when some sets were sold in the back and may be by loco number.
I can't get to mine right now but will try to this coming week.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
The Doyle guide does have cataloged prewar sets listed in the back, but they're by set number and not year. The years are listed within those listings as with the individual items through the rest of the book but they're not in chronological order.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,691 Posts
Olsen train library is a good on line resource. They have a section on O and 027 Prewar Engines. On each engine page the years manufactured are at the top.

For paper comfort I have the Doyle Prewar book. Color pictures out do Olsen's but no part numbers.

Years back I got a 2 CD set that had a collection of Lionel catalogs through the years. Not every year but they have sets with the original price. Also I can look at accessories too. It is neat to see the original catalogs on how they were displayed.

The K Line blue book manual on Post War Trains has time chart on page 8, This book has gone by other names like Auro Tech. They are hard cover in a dark blue. The chart starts with 1946 but 5 engines were listed prior to and into 46. The 221 671, 726 and two scout engines. Perhaps you can view the page on amazon if you are interested.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
If you join the LCCA you can go to their website and view all of the Lionel catalogs which they have scanned.
I have both the Doyle and T&M books. Both excellant with the Doyle books more comprehensive and the T&M books more of the history.

Pete

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The IVES people have great documentation for their locos, rolling stock and sets. Is there anything like this for Lionel?

I would like to see what cars came with a loco in certain sets.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
There's an entire Doyle book dedicated to postwar sets. I believe there are other resources for uncatalogued postwar sets. The Doyle Prewar catalog has a few pages in the back with cataloged prewar sets and their components.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
There are four books covering Lionel trains,
Pre-war, post-war, modern and post-war sets.
IMHO all worth having.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just received the Doyle book. Its awesome. You have to ignore the prices, they are not in touch with the real values: EBAY*(&&#$? They list a lionel model 33 in good condition for $400, yea right.Bought a decent one last year at a show for $50 and have seen them for under $100 all day long on ebay before everyone was at home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts