Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of MTH, K-line, and Lionel accessories from the modern era and for the most part, scale wise, I've never had any issues. I think the Bachmann plasticville stuff tends to run small but other than that things line up. Until today...

I know that the postwar accessories tend to be quite big and on my layout I'm looking to have things be not uber realistic but close. In this case it's not even in the ball park.

I won an auction for the Wimpy's all star burger stand thinking this would be a nice animated piece for the layout. This is the one

http://www.lionel.com/products/wimpys-all-star-burger-stand-6-24236/

It says O Gauge but if that is O Gauge then these guys must be giants.

The first picture here compares the human sizes to some standard o gauge service station people. If the guy on the right is a 6 foot tall 200 pound man the guy holding the burger is an 8 foot tall 400 pound bear.

20160512_213111.jpg

This pic shows it with another lionel accessory. The tug of war scene. Those kids are tiny compared.

20160512_213211.jpg

I could not find much on this accessory before I purchased it but I'm not thinking I can use it on my layout with the size difference. It's a shame cause it's a cool piece.

On a side note... I'm going to build a switch box for all of my accessories with my son. I've learned that 5 year old really like switches so being able to turn lights on, make the boy swing in the tree, make the kids play tug of war, etc... really keeps the youngsters interested.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Yes scale varies in O gauge. It is a good idea to setup for your son to operate the accessories. This is one of the reasons I think my girls never were interested in my N scale trains many years ago. No accessories. I'm buying them up now for grandkids. You can teach an old dog new tricks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
Yes, Lionel accessories are mostly not scale. I have the Cowen's Corner Hobby, which is pretty scale, and some of their other buildings are close, but most of the operating accessories are "traditional" scale, which means whatever they want. Generally a bit too big regarding people, etc. Still, they can be a lot of fun and if you put them in the right places, they fit pretty well with scale locos.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Move Wimpy's to the foremost location possible and then put the Tug-Of-War further back to force perspective. Also has the added bonus of having the kids look for things that are moving around the layout.

Otherwise, yes - scale is definitely off to put it politely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts