Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so I finally found my niche in the model train world for now, that being Lionel's Postwar Classics lineup... I get to have the look and style of the old time products, but do not have to deal with the results of years of handling or sky-high prices for pristine sets... I ordered my first of these sets today :D

·
16,666 Posts
Hi B&M,

I'm glad you're tackling this.

Maybe it's just me, but I find Lionel's current website and catalog terminology incredibly confusing, especially for someone (like me) who's relatively new to exploring the Lionel family of products. They use terms like Classic, Traditional, Conventional Classics, Postwar Reissue, etc. One would think they're all in the same lot, but there's apparently differences in the product lines.

I stumbled on the PR from Lionel, but I'm still a bit confused ...

http://www.lionel.com/CentralStation/NewsStand/viewrelease.cfm?newsID=159

Anyway, I'm glad you've got the con, as they say. Go to it. Ping us with questions / findings ... maybe we can search through the fog together.

By the way ... I'm a man in search of a Lionel 221 loco (early post war) ... If you ever learn of a Lionel reissue of this, please let me know.

Thanks!
TJ

·
16,666 Posts
B&M,

Re: the 221 ... thanks ... I've been hunting quite a bit on ebay. I bid (but lost) on one or two nice, all-original ones, and I've seen a few repaints. I'm keeping my eyes open.

Beyond the 221, though, it's unclear to me for the Reissue sets listed above whether the loco mechanics are truly traditional (plunger e-units, armature motors, etc.), or whether they've put modern mechanics (updated motors, electronic e-units, sound, etc.) into shells made from old molds.

A lot to learn ... a lot to learn!

TJ

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
B&M,

Beyond the 221, though, it's unclear to me for the Reissue sets listed above whether the loco mechanics are truly traditional (plunger e-units, armature motors, etc.), or whether they've put modern mechanics (updated motors, electronic e-units, sound, etc.) into shells made from old molds.

A lot to learn ... a lot to learn!

TJ
The conventional locomotives are a mixture... They still have magnetraction, but they also have traction tires since magnetraction does not work on all rails... I believe that at least the diesels still have the same type of motor, but now they have an electronic e-unit as well as basic horn and bell sounds...

They also make some classic sets with full-fleged DCC...

I will post pictures of my Trainmaster when it gets here...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts