Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lionel Big Book pre-orders should have been placed by now. There was only one item that I was interested in, the Area 51 Control Tower, but I did not pre-order. Will wait for the item to arrive at the train shops. Getting harder and harder to buy the expensive stuff anymore.

Anyone place any pre-orders for any Lionel Big Book stuff ?????

Bill

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
Yeah. A couple of things if I remember. I have an LC+ Lionmaster Big Boy on pre-order from last year's catalog, and the GS-1 from this one, and I imagine, one other something I can't recall now, which seemed too desireable to pass up at the time.

Gotta whole lot of MTH pre-order, too. I know that often you don't have to pre-order MTH, but I make sure I'm going to get it that way, and get Pat's Trains pre-order discount when I do.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I really wanted to order some VL reefers. I figured these are a "low risk" item as far as what could go wrong.

But given the way Lionel has been all over the place with colors and sounds I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I missed out on the B6 last time, thought about one of those but ...nah, won't do it. I'd almost rather find one from the previous release.

NIB TMCC stuff for a fraction of the cost has never looked better.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Nothing. The Frisco E8's are in my wheelhouse but I just couldn't. I had a 100% failure rate on my four Legacy preorders last year. I'm sitting out for the forseeable future. Fool me once and all that.

Mr. Muffin's really tempted me with the Wabash Trainmasters.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Nothing for me either. Still waiting on a pre order for some UP passenger cars from a year ago to fill out my excursion train.

Pete

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
No doubt Lionel pre-ordering is a risky venture these days. So I knocked my "wishlist" down to items that are "add-ons" to existing trains or themes. LOTS of stuff didn't make the cut this year due to Lionel's inability to get even the most basic things right. But here's what I pre-ordered:

• 2 AFT two-pack passenger cars,
  • 1 Bethlehem Steel B6 0-6-0
  • 1 BNSF Ice Cold Express smoking 57' Mech Reefer
  • 2 PS-4 flatcar with Polar Express PUPs
And the last two items in the list don't really even need to be pre-ordered. THAT's it for this catalog's pre-orders -- a FAR cry from other years. I might purchase a few other goodies, but only AFTER the items arrive stateside. Lionel has screwed up WAY too much recently to commit $$$$ up front. Just won't do it anymore.

Lionel is pricing themselves out of an already super-saturated toy train market. Should be an interesting year to observe what's actually delivered... and in what volumes.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder how many old timers in the electric train hobby ( like me ) have come to the realization that they really don't need anymore $1600 locomotives. Or for that matter any more locomotives at all. I have one BTO Lionel switcher on pre-order from last year but I have to ask myself how many switchers do I really need.

Bill

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
I wonder how many old timers in the electric train hobby ( like me ) have come to the realization that they really don't need anymore $1600 locomotives. Or for that matter any more locomotives at all. I have one BTO Lionel switcher on pre-order from last year but I have to ask myself how many switchers do I really need.

Bill
Well, every time I tell myself I have all the locos I need, i see something else I just have to have.

And Lionel's Legacy Plus as I call it (with Bluetooth) is too awesome not to love. Finally, Legacy operates like I walways wanted it to.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well, every time I tell myself I have all the locos I need, i see something else I just have to have.

And Lionel's Legacy Plus as I call it (with Bluetooth) is too awesome not to love. Finally, Legacy operates like I walways wanted it to.
I agree about Bluetooth although I can't say "finally" since I'm a relative newcomer. It also seems like battery power is a no-brainer at some point. Heck, I had really cool battery operated remote control cars as a kid in the 80's! It seems crazy to me in 2020 that battery tech hasn't really infiltrated this hobby. Anyway, I'm off topic.

While I didn't preorder anything from the Lionel 2020 catalog, I will consider the Frisco E8's and MRS beer cars if they look alright.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I agree about Bluetooth although I can't say "finally" since I'm a relative newcomer. It also seems like battery power is a no-brainer at some point. Heck, I had really cool battery operated remote control cars as a kid in the 80's! It seems crazy to me in 2020 that battery tech hasn't really infiltrated this hobby. Anyway, I'm off topic.

While I didn't preorder anything from the Lionel 2020 catalog, I will consider the Frisco E8's and MRS beer cars if they look alright.
the advancements in battery's since 80s is immense...
lipo batteries... so 3.6v = 1s (aka 1 cell)... add them together..

I run 3s in my crawler for 10.8v and it is half the size of the old batteries and thinner!!!!! my cousin is running 6s -21.6v @80amps!!!!!! he is trying to break 100mph ..real mph!!!!!

keeping this on track... :cheeky4:

catalog is nice, so many shiny things... im new and given post war and hooked on post war... want new shiny bluetooth, tmcc (not sure if that is like dcc for ho but this is for O?) and all that cool stuff...
every time i try and fix something.. it dont go well.. just added a drum to an e-unit and no work... so my 1666 is still down....

but that price point is not where I am at in my life.. so that catalog is just eye candy for me... and i will love to see all yall's purchases... pics will be nice....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts