Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several Lionel O27 Pullman Passenger Cars (2422, 2423, 2429, 2432). Each needs service to the wiring and/or light bulbs. How does the roof come off or chassis open gracefully?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
I have several Lionel O27 Pullman Passenger Cars (2422, 2423, 2429, 2432). Each needs service to the wiring and/or light bulbs. How does the roof come off or chassis open gracefully?

There should be roof screws?:confused:
Unscrew them and pop the top off.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
A note about the 2400 series passenger car.

A copy and paste,

Many of the early cars were improperly assembled with the roof on backwards to mate with the interior metal inserts that held the roof to the body. This resulted in many of the interior bulkheads cracking due to the stress placed upon them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! Thank you & much appreciation.
I must laugh at myself for NOT recognizing the mechanical value of the roof screws. Actually, I did not recognize them as screws! I only noticed the 4 screws on the underside of each chassis.

The quality of ALL answers is highly valued!
Thanks all.
The roof of each car is back in place after replacement wiring accomplished.
Kindest regards.
Replies well done & appreciated!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I love those prewar Pullmans. I have two 2640s, and two 2430s and 2431 observation. The 2640s were converted to S gauge as will the 2430/31s as soon as I finish cleaning them up.

Rich

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
I love those prewar Pullmans. I have two 2640s, and two 2430s and 2431 observation. The 2640s were converted to S gauge as will the 2430/31s as soon as I finish cleaning them up.

Rich

The 2430s were postwar.:confused:
2640 were prewar. Were they all aluminum or just the roofs?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Were they all aluminum or just the roofs?
Ed,

Thanks for the information, I know some history on that series but wasn't sure which was pre or post war. None of the five I have are aluminum, this includes the roofs. I checked this out with a magnet.

A TTOS club member did tell me that Lionel did not use aluminum during the war (did they really make any duing wartime? Maybe it was just prior to changing over to wartime production). What are the odds of me finding all five completely non-aluminum cars, considering I bought each series about 3 years apart?

Of course none of this detracts from these wonderful passenger cars.

Rich

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GREAT thread, Thanks train-gang!

I am due to get some pics on here...
Kids got the idea to do a train-cam, & a couple videos now exist on YouTube (CyberJiroKid). The Pullmans get some good camera time in "2011 02 07 Cmon Ride The Train." Layouts are temp/holiday by design ;-(

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here are some pictures.

The 2640s came with American Flyer trucks. I converted the center trucks into one spine.

Close up of the spine.

Here are the 2430s and 2431 I recently acquired. I was going to strip and repaint but after cleaning them up I may run them as-is. After all they are older passenger cars. I plan to add Flyer trucks and probably spine the three as I did with the 2640s. They are complete. I'm just showing two roofs and only one of the window trim pieces. As I mentioned, the roofs look like they are aluminum but they aren't.

Rich

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
Ed,

Thanks for the information, I know some history on that series but wasn't sure which was pre or post war. None of the five I have are aluminum, this includes the roofs. I checked this out with a magnet.

A TTOS club member did tell me that Lionel did not use aluminum during the war (did they really make any duing wartime? Maybe it was just prior to changing over to wartime production). What are the odds of me finding all five completely non-aluminum cars, considering I bought each series about 3 years apart?

Of course none of this detracts from these wonderful passenger cars.

Rich

The 2640's illuminated made 38-42.
Came in light blue w/t aluminum roof or
Slate green body with a dark green roof.
you have gray roofs?:confused:

2422 Chatham made 50-53 gray or silver roofs

2423 Hillside same as above

2429 Livingston made 52-53
gray roof or aluminum roof/no stripe

2432 Clifton vista dome 54-58

You know there are more with different town names on them?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
The 2640's you have rust on them.:confused:

The last time I checked a magnet will not stick on aluminum?:confused::D
Am I wrong?:confused:

Metal was stopped during the war but they were made 1938 - 1942 so they were technically prewar.

And the 50's after the war.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The 2640's illuminated made 38-42.
Came in light blue w/t aluminum roof or
Slate green body with a dark green roof.
you have gray roofs?:confused:

2422 Chatham made 50-53 gray or silver roofs

2423 Hillside same as above

2429 Livingston made 52-53
gray roof or aluminum roof/no stripe

2432 Clifton vista dome 54-58

You know there are more with different town names on them?
Someone painted the 2640 roofs silver. The underside is still dark green. The light sockets are in the 2640s. A future project will be to illuminate them again, and illuminate the 243xs too. I want to add sillouettes for the windows too.

You're right, aluminum is not magnetic. That was my point. Eveyone had told me these were aluminum cars and I was confused when I found out that all the cars I have are magnetic.

Did Lionel start naming passenger cars after towns near their factory, or were there actually prototype cars in NJ with town names?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
Someone painted the 2640 roofs silver. The underside is still dark green. The light sockets are in the 2640s. A future project will be to illuminate them again, and illuminate the 243xs too. I want to add sillouettes for the windows too.

You're right, aluminum is not magnetic. That was my point. Eveyone had told me these were aluminum cars and I was confused when I found out that all the cars I have are magnetic.

Did Lionel start naming passenger cars after towns near their factory, or were there actually prototype cars in NJ with town names?
Even the tops are magnetic or plastic?
I believe just some of the tops were just aluminum.

I think there was only one experimental prototype with a town name.

The others were names of towns that Lionel picked around them at the Hillside factory.

Does everyone know about this?
A copy and paste about Vista domed cars,

Vista Domes were not used east of the Mississippi, since Eastern tunnel and bridge clearances were too short for them. Nonetheless, every road name gets Vista Domes in O gauge. You will find them in Pennsylvania, New York Central and B&O liveries. And yes, they are even found in the Lackawanna streamliner sets, despite the fact that such a car could never clear the Jersey City or Nay Aug tunnels. Vista Domes are expected among O gaugers, regardless of road names.

Rich I had you confused with the thread starter.:D
What numbers do you have all together Rich?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
-From the Thread Starter-
History & details continue to be of interest. Thanks!

Here are my SantaFe Engine & Dummy:
(2343)

(2353)

And the Pullmans:
(2429 Livingston)

(2432 Clifton)

(2422 Chatham)

(2423 Hillside)

All acquired recently with several other Lionel & Marx steamers, rolling stock, extra track, and 2 xfrmrs for ~I almost feel bad~ $150.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
Hey thread starter......:D, Sorry, I mean Cyber /27.
(When I was replying I forgot who started this thread,
so I used that in place.:eek:hwell:)

Looks like someone washed those too much and took the color right out of the lettering.
Are you going to paint them or leave them as is?
Did you fix the lights?

Are you going to paint the Santa Fe',the Jersey Central (CNJRR) colors to pull them?:D:thumbsup:

Now keep an eye open for these to complete the train,
2421 Maplewood Pullman,
2434 Newark Pullman,
2435 Elizabeth Pullman,
2436 Moosehead observation,
2436 which is the Summit observation ca.r

yes there are 2/ 2436's just different names on the car.

Same goes for the 2442 number there are two cars listed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No worries on the 'thread starter' note... It fit rather well with where the conversation had gone!

I was wondering WHY my set had no color compared to others I have seen online! Thank You!
I picked up the set in Jan-2011, & I did not know the owners and I do not know their history. Washing may be the cause, but judging by their condition and storage method, I am inclined to think it is due to lots of handling, and storage 'rubbing' (they were each wrapped in news paper, within a beat-up cardboard box that may have been relocated often from closet to closet). -Sounds like a great % of any train set out there.

I probably will not paint them since I have not gone the route of painting any of my collectibles. I have mostly enjoyed getting relics to actually MOVE again. But you have me curious, and I will begin some research on the CNJRR's.

All lights are operating, with wiring and bulbs replaced as needed. I'll toss another pic up here (some evening soon) with a Lighted view.

Great Minds Think ALIKE! Just last night I scoured the Internet looking for the four numbers you mentioned. But I could not figure out WHY I was only seeing 2436 SUMMIT, when I was expecting to see 2436 MOOSEHEART. Thanks for the history lesson (again)!

I have enjoyed the knowledge-sharing & will continue to check back. -Especially if my Pullman set grows. THX!

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
No worries on the 'thread starter' note... It fit rather well with where the conversation had gone!

I was wondering WHY my set had no color compared to others I have seen online! Thank You!
I picked up the set in Jan-2011, & I did not know the owners and I do not know their history. Washing may be the cause, but judging by their condition and storage method, I am inclined to think it is due to lots of handling, and storage 'rubbing' (they were each wrapped in news paper, within a beat-up cardboard box that may have been relocated often from closet to closet). -Sounds like a great % of any train set out there.

I probably will not paint them since I have not gone the route of painting any of my collectibles. I have mostly enjoyed getting relics to actually MOVE again. But you have me curious, and I will begin some research on the CNJRR's.

All lights are operating, with wiring and bulbs replaced as needed. I'll toss another pic up here (some evening soon) with a Lighted view.

Great Minds Think ALIKE! Just last night I scoured the Internet looking for the four numbers you mentioned. But I could not figure out WHY I was only seeing 2436 SUMMIT, when I was expecting to see 2436 MOOSEHEART. Thanks for the history lesson (again)!

I have enjoyed the knowledge-sharing & will continue to check back. -Especially if my Pullman set grows. THX!

I never realized that too, until I was listing the numbers from my book.

Also the numbers 2424/25/26/27/28 were not used on Lionel postwar, prewar or Modern in the book.
I wonder why? :confused:
I will research that a little.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts