Model Train Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Those switches are easily replaced on the motherboard if needed.
Yes, it looks like it. Just three solder joints. They are probably a common part carried by electronics suppliers. Problem will be I'll pay far more in shipping than I will for the part. I usually buy from Mouser or Digikey and both charge a minimum of $8 for shipping. Other issue is what if it is not really the switch, but a bad joint somewhere. At that point better to just get a new mother board. They are $25 from Lionel.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Yes, it looks like it. Just three solder joints. They are probably a common part carried by electronics suppliers. Problem will be I'll pay far more in shipping than I will for the part. I usually buy from Mouser or Digikey and both charge a minimum of $8 for shipping. Other issue is what if it is not really the switch, but a bad joint somewhere. At that point better to just get a new mother board. They are $25 from Lionel.
When I order 1 or 2 small parts from Digikey, the shipping cost is $4.99 via USPS first class mail (up to 14 oz).

You can Search Here for the correct switch on AliExpress, shipping is often free and the switch price is cheap. But you need to find an offer that lists the switch dimensions to match the loco's existing switches. And you need to wait for the "Slow Boat from China" to get the parts (4+ weeks). But for a few bucks, you'll have replacements if needed in the future. You can try eBay for a similar deal but to get the overall pricing down the switch will likely also come from China.

·
Admin
43,805 Posts
You have a point, I'd probably just rip them out of one of the many junk boards I have laying around, I'm sure some of them have the switches. :D Of course, I make regular orders from Digikey, probably every couple weeks, so there's no shipping issue. BTW, Digikey charges $4.99 for First Class Shipping for small orders. ;) Also, Lionel charges a minimum of $10 for shipping, and that's even for dealers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks guys, good to know. I forgot about Digikey's lower shipping for small packages. I may contact the train shop I usually deal with to see if they have the switches or working mother board for cheaper.

Again no sounds this morning even after working the switch a lot. Looks like a new switch or mother board is in my future. It'd be frustrating if I replaced the switch and still had the issue. :cry:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
If normal operation requires the switch to be "on", it's pretty easy to jumper the contacts and eliminate the switch itself. Might be a good test to verify/eliminate the switch as the problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If normal operation requires the switch to be "on", it's pretty easy to jumper the contacts and eliminate the switch itself. Might be a good test to verify/eliminate the switch as the problem.
Yes, I agree. I've tested the switch for continuity in both positions, and it shows the correct contacts are being made. It's another reason I'm not completely convinced it's the switch...

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Yes, I agree. I've tested the switch for continuity in both positions, and it shows the correct contacts are being made. It's another reason I'm not completely convinced it's the switch...
The intermittent nature of the problem suggests revisiting the connectors. I'd look into the females to see if any receptacles are bent causing a poor connection. Maybe some Deoxit ... and an old toothbrush to "scrub" the pins as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Took a long look at the mother board this morning. Only thing I could set is one solder joint for one end of the volume pot didn't look the best, so I reflowed all three. Tested continuity between the two power in pins (connected to the pickup rollers on each end). All tested good. Right now I'm not getting any sound no matter. Best I can tell, Mike may be right and this is a poor connector issue. I just can't see any bad connections on the mother board itself. Will need to go back over the connectors. It does seem like one of those might be the weak point. This is where a schematic would be helpful. It would help focus in on what specific pins to look at. I didn't think Lionel provided schematics to the general public, but thought maybe service stations were given access to them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
After fiddling with the wiring with no results, I ordered a replacement mother board. That came yesterday and I swapped that in, but no change. :(

So, now my options are to:

1. Send it to Lionel for service
2. Live with no sounds
3. Sell as is and cut my losses

Anyone know the typical cost for repair work by Lionel?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts