Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am BRAND new to the model train game. I am attempting to restore my uncles old Lionel scout 1110 everything is original and I’m hoping for some advice with an issue I’m having. This thing was SUPER dirty however with a few how to videos and a moderate amount of swear words I have disassembled and properly cleaned the motor, lubricated the gears, and actually got the wheels turning for the first time in 50 years. Some things I’m noticing are, for starters, the wheels at full voltage are not spinning anywhere near as fast as they should and the train will only go in reverse. This is not a track test I’m simply using a live wire to jump the motor itself. I’m 100% positive I cleaned everything properly and reassembled the drums, brushes and springs correctly. I even found a way to check the switch mechanism without having the drums in place which was pretty cool actually. Does this sound more like a bad power source rather than an issue with the train motor? Again everything is original including a the power transformer and the wheels will only go in reverse regardless of the transformer being in the “FORWARD” position.

·
Admin
44,347 Posts
You're in for a real treat trying to get that running again! :D That's the infamous model that has the E-unit built into the motor using a movable field piece. I had one of those years ago and spend many a frustrating hour trying to get 100% operation. I'll bet money that the problem is the moveable armature is not properly moving and indexing the wheel to reverse direction. I got mine to about 80% operation, and it never got any better than that.

I wish I had some useful advice, but I gave up on mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're in for a real treat trying to get that running again! :D That's the infamous model that has the E-unit built into the motor using a movable field piece. I had one of those years ago and spend many a frustrating hour trying to get 100% operation. I'll bet money that the problem is the moveable armature is not properly moving and indexing the wheel to reverse direction. I got mine to about 80% operation, and it never got any better than that.

I wish I had some useful advice, but I gave up on mine.
Thanks for the input John! For my first one it sure was a challenge! After about 12 total hours of cleaning oiling and over obsessing the alignment of the drums.....it turns out it was my battery pack was sending out irregular voltage that was basically sending surges to that armature which is exactly what you were describing..... I built my own power supply using an old laptop battery and a power regulator from harbor freight.....purring like a kitten! Still rough riding but that’s from deterioration of the wheels from rust those will need replaced. I’m very pleased that this beauty is running again for the first time in 50 years!

·
Hobo for Life
6,085 Posts
Depends on how bad they are, just hit the top with a scotchbrite and alcohol. The stronger the better. Prety much avoid anything else. The pins can be bent a out bit so they scrape the inside of the rails, this will let them have a good conection. Take a picture and post it. People will tell you if its worth cleaning them more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts