Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought the Lionel "New York Central" train set.

Whenever I run the train, at 45% power, after roughly 7 minutes, all the "TrainSounds" (engine, bell, whistle...) suddenly drop to barely-audible levels, as demonstrated at the 30-second mark of this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDoPDFzlwRY

Powering off, for 5 minutes, is the ONLY way to restore full volume.

But again... after 7-10 minutes, at half power, the volume cuts out again.

Surely this can't be normal. Can someone confirm that this is, indeed, a defect? I'm still within the 30-day return period.

Dimitri

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
I don't have any details about that set, but it certainly sounds like a warranty issue to me. You likely should contact Lionel directly.

TJ

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Does this system have a re-chargeable battery for the sound system? If so, you might need to replace the battery. You could also test it with a regular battery to see if that's the issue.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Does this system have a re-chargeable battery for the sound system? If so, you might need to replace the battery. You could also test it with a regular battery to see if that's the issue.
Anything TMCC and under does not have a battery... I am not sure about Legacy, but I doubt that has a battery either...

·
Yard Master & Research
10,694 Posts
They did remove the battery. A loss of sound must be a board problem. Maybe a short in the volume control or the amplifier. I have not heard of this one. Seek out the dealer.

You have to know that these are electronic devices like a camera. Just as complicated. Then this thing is moving on rails etc. So they do have a failure rate. Not to mention possible shorts on derailments or setting the engine down on live tracks. These sets come with manuals and once the know how is used up the dealer is next. Unfortunately my experience does not have the depth.

Keep us posted on your next step when the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I suspected: it's not normal for the sound to drop, after a few minutes.

I'm sending it back to Amazon for a refund.

Thanks to all who responded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts