Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so my dad is going to the train show in a week to sell some of his HO trains. He doesn't think they are worth much. He just sold off about 60 pieces of Tri-Ang trains for $300 and the buyer advised him the next day the one engine was worth about $1,000.

Now he thinks he should be more cautious! He came across this Lionel 4454 Steam Engine and asked if I could check out on-line to see if it was worth anything.

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Did he set the price at $300, or did the other guy offer $300? I would be so pissed if the guy had offered $300 and then turned around the next day to point out its real value... Anyways, from what I found it is worth around $50 to $100, and probably on the lower end of that depending on whether or not you have the box and what condition it is in... See the second post in this thread...

Here is one that sold on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-Lionel-...ryZ19136QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lionel Southern

Nope, he called the radio station (they have a "Garage Sale" once a week) and said he was selling them for $300. He sold to the first guy that called (he drove 200 miles to pick it up the next day). Then, all weekend, he was getting calls from hundreds of miles away from guys who heard it on the radio and wanted to pay more "sight unseen". The guy that bought it never owned any trains so called his collector friend over to look at it. That is when he found out its worth (on one engine alone). I've been trying to tell dad he needs to research what he is selling, but he is too impatient and can't wait for me to do the research. I think the collectors at the show are going to be pretty happy with what they buy of his!

Don't get me started on what he sold his rare 1968 Fender Paisley guitar for a couple of years ago. I just saw it being bidded on on Ebay a couple of weeks ago and the bidding was up to $24,000!!!! At the time he sold it, he just thought it was "an old guitar". He thinks his trains are the same as his guitar - just old!

Anyways, thanks for the research.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Ouch...I always wince when folks offer lots for one price.

The lower end would be the more reasonable price right now, no doubt because of the economy and that it isn't a particularly hard to find piece. $40-60 is a pretty good sale price, the box making all the difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts