Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw this topic and sadly had not tested or run my crane cars (I have both an earlier TMCC version and the later Legacy version along with matching sound crane cars) and just tested since I had updated my CAB2s to 1.7 firmware. https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/crane-car-tmcc-not-happy-with-1-7#lastReply

This is what I discovered and while I found the problem, I also found the a fix.
So the problem is, when adding the crane car or say you had an existing one under 1.61 firmware on the CAB2 remote, when updating to 1.7 firmware or adding a new ID as a crane car, I defaults to Legacy Railsounds.
That is what I discovered changed the icon order on the screen and then the icons for the Big Hook, the Little Hook, and the Crane Boom default to whatever function was last controlled because it does appear to be a bug in the 1.7 firmware. Another possible answer is they are planning new versions of Legacy crane cars and this new setting works with them? Point being, it does not work with the Legacy or TMCC crane cars I tested.

However, the fix is on the CAB2 hit Info, then go to the Railsounds tab, and switch to Railsounds 5 (RS5), and then at that point, you get your more familiar crane screen with the hook and boom icons on the second row and they now work as expected.

Hope this helps others.

Basically, the issue is when adding some engine or accessory types, they default to the highest or newest Legacy settings and since Lionel made different versions over time- that may not be the correct setting for your specific engine or accessory.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just tried this again because Dave Olsen responded in the other forum topic saying it works for him and no issues.
Well, I'm not getting the same answer. I cleared the ID I was using #3 just to be sure, and then re-added it as a crane car. It again defaulted to Legacy Railsounds and in doing so, would not switch between hook and boom or the 2 different hooks, the headlight and tailight controls did not turn off the lights.
This is the default icons you get for crane when in Legacy Railsounds mode.
Blue Telephony Communication Device Gadget Telephone

Then if you hit info and scroll to the railsounds tab
Product Gadget Technology Electronic device Machine

Then you now get this menu and these icons work correctly with either the original TMCC crane cars or the later Legacy version.
Photograph Telephony Telephone Office supplies Gadget

Both modes, either Legacy RS or RS5 mode, you still only ever get CAB for the TMCC control type.
Gadget Telephony Material property Communication Device Font

So, I guess I am going to download and make a new 1.7 update module and try again?

This is the crane car DT&I LEGACY™ Command Control Scale Crane Car

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FWIW, the TMCC version of the crane car I am also testing this with is this New York Central TMCC Crane X-13
and I know mismatched roadnames, but the TMCC sounds car is this Santa Fe Boom Car with Crane Sounds

OK, just tried a re-flash of the remote with a new version of 1.7 downloaded today. Same basic problem.
But I did discover in playing around in the Legacy RS mode of the crane car, both the TMCC and Legacy crane cars, and respective boom cars were operating under Legacy mode.
The thing is, the number buttons of the CAB2 are working as if in TMCC mode but then displaying the Legacy icon layout.
So example, volume down lines up and actually operates the headlights of the crane.
Again, TMCC icons, so what is number 4 is front lights.
Photograph White Blue Telephone Telephony

When you switch the CAB2 to Legacy Railsounds option,
The icons change to this pattern but the actual pressing the button action matches the TMCC pattern.
So again, now showing volume control in #4 actually is still front light on the crane.
Blue Telephony Telephone Communication Device Gadget

Sorry, but I'm pretty much calling this a confirmed bug in 1.7.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've been active on that post. Can you post your findings over there so Dave can see what the issue is?

·
Registered
183 Posts
OK. I will try this when I get home and see how the icons line up with yours and see if Dave can help. I suspect it is as you pointed out a bug now that I can see your Cab2 screen. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So, after an hour long phone call, I'm back on OGR.
Please do not post any links to another forum like MTF over there.
You can use my pictures, if I post them, I consider them public all in the attempts to discuss and help others with technical issues.

·
Admin
47,487 Posts
So, after an hour long phone call, I'm back on OGR.
Please do not post any links to another forum like MTF over there.
You can use my pictures, if I post them, I consider them public all in the attempts to discuss and help others with technical issues.
My advice for longevity on OGR is to avoid personal disputes and obvious "over the line" replies. If you stick to the "facts" and avoid personalities, things usually go pretty smoothly. I know there are times you dearly want to tell someone what you really think, but that's what gets you in hot water. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts