Model Train Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Good looking outfit Tom. :thumbsup:

And Tom is right, with any crane operation the operator should be taking his signals from ONE designated, qualified signal person.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,868 Posts
Interesting. I worked for a wreck outfit part time in the early 80’s. We used D9 “sidewinders” to pick up cars and locomotives. We had a few crane trucks too.

The big difference was we used hand signals to communicate with the crane operators. We never spoke while moving the rig. The only time you yelled was when someone was in danger of being squashed.

In the old days when railroads used their own wreckers, the wreck master used hand signals or if it was night time, the wreck master used a green lantern. The crane operator would only take directions from the wreck master and ignore everyone else unless it was an emergency...

Tom
Yep I remember boom up you pointed up, boom down pointed down.
Line up you pointed your finger up while twirling it, down just the opposite.
Boom left or right you pointed left or right.

It has been a long time for me, we had a RR crane 60 ton.
And a 1938 Burro on wheels.
A beast to operate as nothing worked right. :smokin:

They use the same mans voice for both cranes?

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,868 Posts
While I agree that it's probably not "real world", they didn't have the technology to have an O-gauge sized figure giving hand signals, so the voice was used. ;)
Sure they do, but the little man would cost a $1000 bucks a pop. :D

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
While I agree that it's probably not "real world", they didn't have the technology to have an O-gauge sized figure giving hand signals, so the voice was used. ;)
I know. The voices and sounds do add to the “play value” and that is important to many collectors. It isn’t a complaint or put down of the product, just relating an observation.

Personally, I would have liked an option to run just “mechanical” sounds as the voice part is not my cup of tea.

Tom

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,868 Posts
I know. The voices and sounds do add to the “play value” and that is important to many collectors. It isn’t a complaint or put down of the product, just relating an observation.

Personally, I would have liked an option to run just “mechanical” sounds as the voice part is not my cup of tea.

Tom
Yep, you could just put your hardhat on and direct the crane yourself. Hand signals. Or voice if you prefer.:D

The voice is a little annoying huh?

Sounds are nice, the motor and the creaking and groaning.:)

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yep, you could just put your hardhat on and direct the crane yourself. Hand signals. Or voice if you prefer.:D

The voice is a little annoying huh?

Sounds are nice, the motor and the creaking and groaning.:)
We didn’t wear hard hats...lol.

The sounds are great. Some experiments might be in order to see if the foreman can be silenced.

My crane needs a little adjustment on the outriggers. They tend to pop out on their own.

A great looking set!

Tom

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Lots of play value in these cranes. I have a TMCC NYC version.
The outriggers are a problem in that they pop out on their own. I even replaced a few trying to fix it but new ones do the same thing. Mine will stay parked on a siding most of the time.

Pete

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Oh, cool. Thanks Doug!

Tom

·
Registered
114 Posts
The outriggers do seem to be problematic, for they do not always deploy consistently when activated.

Thanks for the outrigger tune-up guide, Tom.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
You are welcome, Doug. The credit goes to GunRunnerJohn! Lol.

Tom

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Thats a service bulletin from Lionel. The adjustment is somewhat critical. Push the locking tabs down too far and the outriggers don't open. Its pretty finicky. Lots of trial and error to find the sweet spot. Worth a try though if yours are opening randomly. Probably worth locking them in if prefer to run the crane a lot on the layout vs making a wreck scene.

Pete

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
That’s why I have the rubber bands on my crane, even when displaying it. It came with out the bands and I had to restring the bugger. Not fun!

Tom

21 - 39 of 39 Posts