Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Admin
43,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question came up about the Lionel Missile Launcher, so here's a couple shots inside. I decided to lube mine and clean the commutator, so it was apart.

The large solenoid on the left fires one missile at a time on command, you can also use the vertical lever to manually trigger them, that's how the PW model without command works.

Lionel 6-28411 - Army TMCC Missile Launcher (rear).png

The underside of the missile launch platform.

Lionel 6-28411 - Army TMCC Missile Launcher (side).png

A couple of product specific electronic parts, the motherboard is no longer available, hope that's not something that craps out!

Lionel 691-PCB1-16A Missile Launcher MB.png

R2LC-0D0.png

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thanks John.....appreciate the pics of whats inside. This is a fun car for the layout.

-Pete

Unfortunately, the one I just got off the “bay” while tmcc controlled will only fire in manual mode.....the solenoid does not appear to be working when I hit the F/uncouple button on my Cab 2(in tmcc mode). Everything else works great. Guess i will have to fiddle with it some more.

-Pete

·
Admin
43,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pete, start by checking the wiring of the solenoid all the way back to the MB. I suspect one side is grounded. Obviously, check if the solenoid has continuity as well. Inspect the MB to see if there's any obvious damage or burn marks. I'm guessing the black part on the left side of the MB is a larger triac for firing the solenoid, I know the little TO-92 part on the R2LC couldn't handle that coil!

Here's the shot of the unpowered truck, the shoe looks a little odd, I've never actually tried that feature. Update, mine didn't fire with the operating track, I had never tried it.

Lionel 6-28411 - Army TMCC Missile Launcher (unpowered truck).png

As I expected, the component pointed to is a 4A triac, obviously the coil driver component. Not in stock in the US, but my go-to Chinese component firm has them, just have to wait a few weeks to get them. :D

Lionel 6-28411 - Army TMCC Missile Launcher (MB 2).png

·
Registered
637 Posts
Ok.....learned something new....at least to me anyway, Under the truck Gunrunner John posted there is a two position switch that enables the Cab 1 to fire the missiles remotely! If that switch is not in the proper position, the missiles will only fire remotely. No where in the Lionel manual is a mention of this switch! Thanks John for your help.....Case closed!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Oh, boy.....gotta put my reading glasses on......you are right, I glossed right over it. Thought program/run switch determined conventional mode and command mode. Funny though, I had all command functions except missile firing. You would think no buttons on Cab 1 would affect it.

-Pete

·
Registered
637 Posts
Side note: Maybe the uncoupler track will work if the switch is slid to conventional mode......

-Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts