Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a post-war #3927 track cleaning loco. It is in decent shape. However, I just found out that Lionel has a newer version, #6-18461. At least it's new to me.

Would anyone have an opinion on the newer model ?

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
It probably works as well as the previous style. I don's use that type, but one of Pat's Trains track cleaner cars, and one I made myself, that are more like what GRJ showed.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I have one of the post war cleaners, but never use it since I don’t think it does a good job. The new version looks like a similar set up so I wouldn’t go for it.

I use a R&L Lines cleaner car that I got at Bussingers.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one of the post war cleaners, but never use it since I don’t think it does a good job. The new version looks like a similar set up so I wouldn’t go for it.

I use a R&L Lines cleaner car that I got at Bussingers.
Can you post a photo ?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Here’s the R&L Lines cleaner car. It has two foam paint rollers mounted at about 30 degrees to the rails. Might not be as good as the one John has, but it works for me. Before I use the R&L car though, I clean all the track I can reach by hand using a block of 5/4. I fold up a few paper towels, sit them on the block, wrap it with a rag and soak the rag/towels with mineral spirits. With your layout, you can probably reach all your track to clean it by hand.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bob. Yes, actually I can clean all of the track by hand. It may be the best way to go after all.

·
Admin
45,485 Posts
I can't easily reach a lot of my track, so sometimes when I'm testing a repair or upgrade, I just connect the track cleaning car to let the test do double duty. :D

Usually, I also drag around my magnetic debris pickup car as well, you'd be surprised how many magnetic filings it picks up, even after a bunch of passes over the layout. It's all plastic except for the axles and the screw in the plastic coupler. I had metal wheelsets in it, but the magnet was so strong that it stopped the wheels from turning and it just dragged the car along the rails! With the plastic wheels and a little grease on the axle ends, the wheels can actually turn.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has anyone used LGB "smoke and track" cleaning fluid to clean your "O" gauge track ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can't easily reach a lot of my track, so sometimes when I'm testing a repair or upgrade, I just connect the track cleaning car to let the test do double duty. :D

Usually, I also drag around my magnetic debris pickup car as well, you'd be surprised how many magnetic filings it picks up, even after a bunch of passes over the layout. It's all plastic except for the axles and the screw in the plastic coupler. I had metal wheelsets in it, but the magnet was so strong that it stopped the wheels from turning and it just dragged the car along the rails! With the plastic wheels and a little grease on the axle ends, the wheels can actually turn.

View attachment 560833 View attachment 560834
John
Are you using a neodenium Magnet?
Marty

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
John
Are you using a neodenium Magnet?
Marty
That is what i use on mine. I have one a lot like GRJ;s and just used a big neodimium magnet I bought on Amazon. I made mine with a full-length scale plastic bodied flatcar, though, so the magnet was far enough way from the wheels. It really is a good idea to run one once in a while. Truly amazing how much stuff comes back on the magnet.

·
Admin
45,485 Posts
Correct, the neodymium magnet in the car is a 2" x 1" x 1/2" magnet that is used in wind generators. It has a bonding strength to thick steel of around 100 pounds. I stuck one of these to a heavy steel plate and I needed help and vice-grip pliers to get it off! I put the magnet inside so I can easily remove any magnetic material, I just lift the magnet out of the car and everything it's collected falls off the bottom of the car.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts