Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I people im new here and seeking info on a train set i have , im 38 now and had it since i was a little boy any info would be greatly appreciated .

Lionel Santa FE Freight
engine - diesel modeled after the Alco GE FA2 protoype .

Its shows on the bottom under the from tracks wheels Lionel 8021-11
the engine is blue on the front with silver on the rest and yellow pin strip

I'm intrested in finding the history to this set anything will help i have searched the internet and have not found any like it all were red in color

I figured I'd ask the experts !:)

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
I believe that was an A-B set ... diesel with cab (A unit), and diesel without cab (B unit) ... 8020 and 8021. I believe the B unit was typically a "dummy", i.e., without motor.

You say yours is blue, rather than the common red. A repaint, maybe?

Regards,

TJ

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I had one of these blue Santa Fe warbonnet diesels a few years ago. It is from the MPC era. I bought it with a stripped plastic gear and had to replace the entire motor assembly to get it working. I bought the motor at a swap meet for $2. They don't seem to be very common. I thought the blue looked great.:)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Looking at the bid price maybe I should have kept the one I had. I only paid $10 for it since it wasn't running. I gave it to a kid for Christmas. If it made the kid happy, it was worth it.

·
Admin
44,988 Posts
I believe that was an A-B set ... diesel with cab (A unit), and diesel without cab (B unit) ... 8020 and 8021. I believe the B unit was typically a "dummy", i.e., without motor.

You say yours is blue, rather than the common red. A repaint, maybe?

Regards,

TJ
Nope TJ, they came in blue as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats the 1 thanks guys much appreciated

any1 know the history of it when was it built ect. ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts