Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use the Lionel # 111 trestle set on their layout?
I would like to know if they are high enough for modern trains to pass under. A friend has 3 sets in the original boxes and wants to give them to me, but i need to know if my trains can go under the track mounted on the trestles.
I ask him to measure them for me, but he is in very bad health and has not gotten around to it because he would have to dig them out of the closet.
Thanks, wmnut

·
Hobo for Life
5,953 Posts
Im with t man, if there too short but you like them, just add something as a base. You could make it uniform and can make it look like concrete, bricks, or just go over it with ground cover! Free stuff is nice.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im with t man, if there too short but you like them, just add something as a base. You could make it uniform and can make it look like concrete, bricks, or just go over it with ground cover! Free stuff is nice.

Good idea, they are all the same height, i thought it would be cool to have my ore train elevated coming out of the mountain and go over some other track.

Thanks..

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,250 Posts
Raise them up an inch and you should be good for what you want to do.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, i will need a lot more then the 10 he wants to give me, and the price of them on ebay, i think i will make my own.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look around for a train show you may find some more.

My table has a loop with trestles and I had to make two since I needed an extra span for support. Doing both is passible.
That sounds like a good idea, thanks...

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,250 Posts
I have a bunch of different sized trestles.
Back when I was looking for them I looked on eBay.
I looked for lots of them. (lot sales)
I waited and bid what I thought they were worth, it takes a little longer but I got some good deals.

A lot think they have gold, I just let them keep them.:)

As with most items there, there will always be more. :smokin:

After all my buying I set them up and didn't like the way the trains ran on them. So now I have just a big box of them, all sizes.
One day....somewhere.....I might use them. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a bunch of different sized trestles.
Back when I was looking for them I looked on eBay.
I looked for lots of them. (lot sales)
I waited and bid what I thought they were worth, it takes a little longer but I got some good deals.

A lot think they have gold, I just let them keep them.:)

As with most items there, there will always be more. :smokin:

After all my buying I set them up and didn't like the way the trains ran on them. So now I have just a big box of them, all sizes.
One day....somewhere.....I might use them. :rolleyes:
I studied my layout and decided that a couple of places i would need a train on the lower lever to run through the trestles, which is not possible with the # 111 set. I am kind of crowded for space and taking a second look i don`t they will work for what i want to do.
I keep adding operating accessory's and sidings for coal and log loaders and such that i am running out of space. That`s one reason i wanted to add a second level. If i make them myself i can make then to suit the need and also use a bridge here and there for a longer span, wife says i`m never satisfied with the layout, always want something more, i said a train layout is never really finished...:dunno:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,250 Posts
And when it is finished a lot tear them down and start all over. Lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And when it is finished a lot tear them down and start all over. Lol
I don`t think i`m going to go that far with being dissatisfied, i might enlarge the platform for another loop sometime. One other layout started with a train under the Christmas tree in the parlor room, a large room that we did not use, and that tree was the first artificial tree we ever had. 10 years later the tree was still up because no one could get to it.
The train layout consumed the entire room, so who knows what is going on in a train nuts brain. :dunno:

·
Registered
334 Posts
What he said. I had success using 2x4 lumber ... cutting it to the precise length I wanted for trestle height. The key is sanding. To make it look like a concrete footing, I sanded every side corner and top edge. Then every surface with 120grit then 220grit paper. Gray primer gave it a nice flat finish. Even feels sticky like concrete. Weather to suit (I lack those skillz) and voila. YMMV

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts