Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to this awesome hobby I have a question regarding the radius of 027 054 072 tracks.
Are the numbers the radius of the turn? Like 072 is 72 inch radius?
Thanks
Marty

·
Registered
1 Posts
Being new to this awesome hobby I have a question regarding the radius of 027 054 072 tracks.
Are the numbers the radius of the turn? Like 072 is 72 inch radius?
Thanks
Marty
Not exactly, but close. The numbers (27, 54, 72) represent the diameter of the curve, not the radius. So 72" curves give you a 6' diameter circle if you put 16 of them together.

Here's where it gets a little more complicated. There are two types of tubular track, historically called O and O27. O track is taller and heavier than O27. O27 was originally limited to 27" curves by Lionel, hence the name, but Marx made the lower profile track in both 27" and 34". In modern times, O27 became available in 42", 54", and 72" curves, again still in the lower profile.

O tubular track used 31" as its smallest diameter curves and also comes in 42", 54", 72", and maybe even higher, not sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I thought that is what is was, except diameter instead of radius! (DOH!!😲) Im doing a ceiling layout in the garage and with the smaller curves I'm afraid of derailing the intermodal cars that are longer than the usual freight cars. A long way to the floor!
I appreciate your input and it helps me alot! wow 16 pieces for the curve!
Thx
Marty

·
Registered
415 Posts
Menards has the tall O gauge curves available in O-31, O-36, O-42, O-54, O-72, O-96 sizes. Also available in 10" & 30" straight track. Sold individually or a case of 24 for less $$$. This track is the basic tubular design that has been around for years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts