Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a true standard for lionel wheel spacing. I measured between the inner edges of the tubular track and measured 1.250. Then I measured some of my engines, inside of flange to inside of flange. The same dimension. Then I looked at some of my pre-war flyer stuff. 1.22. That .050 difference allows for tighter corning without issues.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice chart but hard to believe. Using nominal numbers 1.177 + .039x2 = 1.255. That's .005 over my mic'd track. At the low end it would be 1.249. I need to check all of my engines new and old.

·
Registered
817 Posts
"K" is from inside of flange to outside of flange. Not sure why but that means you only add one flange thickness. Go figure. "B" is inside 1.138.

there are other sections for track, etc on the website.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I see the arrowhead now. 1.216 looks good but its more complicated then that. I was reading an article about track and wheel geometry over the years, Square rails, round rails, floating wheels,fixed wheels, tapered treads etc. Too much to take in. Bottom line I guess is will it run on your track.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I always measure where the flange meets the wheel, because that is what has to go between the rails.
I don't trust all flanges to be the same thickness.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was measuring area too but my track is round and the flanges are tapered so that area never touches the track. The true test is to see of the tread (flat of the wheel) is touching both rails. If wheels are too close the tread wont touch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts