Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received my Wide Vision Caboose w/ camera today. Nicely made and linked up to the Lionel Wi-Fi app without issue. My only problem is that the pic transmitted is totally out of focus. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a focusing knob or something within the app I am overlooking? Or does this have to go back to Lionel.

Any input would be appreciated.

-Pete

·
Registered
898 Posts
Have you checked whatever plastic "glass" panel in the caboose the camera is mounted behind? In the Lionel theater car I recently got, which uses the same camera app, that glass was covered with a protective plastic film that had to be peeled off.

In fact, in the car that I got, there was film on both the outside and the inside of the "glass" panel. I took the car apart to get both off.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First thing I looked for....did not appear to be any film on the glass.

-Pete

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
PETE,
My caboose is coming in on Wednesday from RO. Is there any film on the lens? Maybe clean the plastic window? Just throwing stuff out there. I;ll check mine when it comes in.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Laz......doesn’t appear to be.....but I want to be careful as not to scratch the window. Waiting on someone else who may have received them to see what they encountered. Please reply after you receive yours.

-Pete

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Here are a couple of pics showing what I am talking about....
It looks like the lens is out of line. I noticed in the one photo your soldering iron is slightly in focus, but the rest of the picture is blurry. The lens may not be cut correctly.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Denny, thats what I am thinking too. Since its under warranty I will probably send it back. Camera works well, just looks like the lense needs to be tweaked.

-Pete

·
Registered
521 Posts
don't know if Dave Olson posts here so I stole his post;

"The image should be much clearer than that. I'm going to look into some samples today."

Dave Olson

Director of Engineering

Lionel LLC

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Bigdodgetrain......glad Dave Olson agreed with me.....got the typical off the cuff-no help replies from that other forum......last time I post there for help....

-Pete

P

·
0 Posts
"don't know if Dave Olson posts here so I stole his post;"

No, they don't post here. Very shortsighted of them for whatever their reasoning is. The smart route would be to take advantage of as much positive exposure as you can get. And, it would be free publicity as well. Maybe they have more business than they can adequately handle.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Pete, not sure how sophisticated the lens design is in the camera caboose. However, lenses usually have several "elements", and it appears one or more of these miniature lens elements is out of alignment... or perhaps the lens mechanism is simply flawed in this caboose. That's typical when NOTHING in the picture is in focus. I'd be surprised if there's anything you can do to "fix" the problem, given the images you posted here. I suspect you're looking at an exchange, but I'll let Lionel techs guide you further.

If it were simply a focus issue, the images would look cloudy or more of a soft blur.... and some part of the image would be in-focus. But what you're showing appears more like a motion blur from a still camera that moved during an exposure -- which is why I'm thinking more along the lines of a misaligned lens element... since this is supposed to be a video camera capable of clear motion images.

David

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dave, You are probably right.....This one will be put back in the mail tomorrow. My vendor, Nicholas Smith....no questions asked....is replacing it.

-Pete

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Hi PETE,
On the other forum a guy stated that he has his in HD on a ipad and can focus using the ipad and his fingers. Just thought you would want to know.

·
Moderator Torpedo Emeritus
3,016 Posts
Pete, Got the PM, and tapatalk worked fine.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts