Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
That still doesn't solve the out of warranty repair issue where there are no parts diagrams listed on Lionel's website.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Like John, I prefer the new system. Much red tape with the current setup. As far as parts diagrams for newer engines, what few they have put up show most items not available anyway.
The idea that the factory won’t supply Lionel parts vs using whole engines is nuts. I’ll be curious to know where the MTH engines Lionel is acquiring will be made. Hopefully still in Korea where parts can be had without having to bring in complete items.

Pete

·
Registered
280 Posts
Like John, I prefer the new system. Much red tape with the current setup. As far as parts diagrams for newer engines, what few they have put up show most items not available anyway.
The idea that the factory won’t supply Lionel parts vs using whole engines is nuts. I’ll be curious to know where the MTH engines Lionel is acquiring will be made. Hopefully still in Korea where parts can be had without having to bring in complete items.

Pete
At this point even part numbers for boards and smoke units would be fine by me, as those are what usually need replacement anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually very happy to see this. Solves all the problem of begging them for warranty reimbursement! Now I can just fix them and bill the customer. :)
Wouldn't this also give them reason to cancel future training classes for technicians. If so you may need to modify your signature line!

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
They ”canceled” service training after Mike was moved to NC. Thats a big part of the problem. There has been no formal training since the introduction of the RCMC and Railsounds lite boards.
For those that have training we can rely on reading the markings on the board to figure out what signals should be there along with an enterprising individual who has done some of the legwork here.
As its now almost impossible to repair to component level, repair is down to board swapping. Not much skill required there.

Pete

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just curious, and I wonder, would they be willing to let the average capable owner remove defective part and send in for a replacement part, as opposed to sending in the whole blasted unit? :unsure:

·
Registered
106 Posts
"Just curious, and I wonder, would they be willing to let the average capable owner remove defective part and send in for a replacement part, as opposed to sending in the whole blasted unit?"

Suspect not although there may be case by case exceptions. You send them a picture of the damaged part and proof of purchase for the warranty and they send you the part. But I'm guessing this will be the exception, not the rule. Too many things to go wrong. If you are personal friends with Ryan Kunkle or Dave Olson, maybe. :)

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
They don’t want old boards any more. If you are sure which one is bad you can just order it. Early on you had to return a RCMC to get a replacement but no more. At service school they actually made it a point they don’t want anyone repairing to component level as it takes too much time. Its still possible though in some cases.

Pete

·
Registered
17 Posts
So Lionel won't repair out of warranty items and they aren't training anyone outside of the corporate walls how to repair anything, how do I have out of warranty products repaired 5, 10 or 20 years from now when all the guys who do it now are gone?

·
Registered
470 Posts
So Lionel won't repair out of warranty items and they aren't training anyone outside of the corporate walls how to repair anything, how do I have out of warranty products repaired 5, 10 or 20 years from now when all the guys who do it now are gone?
That's getting off the subject. We're talking "warranty" repair here, and not "out-of-warranty" repair.

I'm sure there will be plenty of privateer repairmen in the future that will be adequately able to repair non-warranty issues. ;)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They don’t want old boards any more. If you are sure which one is bad you can just order it. Early on you had to return a RCMC to get a replacement but no more. At service school they actually made it a point they don’t want anyone repairing to component level as it takes too much time. Its still possible though in some cases.

Pete
You can send in RCMC and get them reprogramed. Did that for my J3a Hudson with five chuffs just last summer.

While I really don't care either way as I have no service stations near me, I hope Lionel has the man power for the increase in work.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Well, kick in the teeth, I discovered last night while running trains the club's CAB2 remote had the dreaded blank line vertically through the LCD number touchpad area. We previously had sent it in so this is round 2 for this remote. So double whammy- between the policy and concern of Lionel having the parts to fix it, opening up the RMA today.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Brings home the point that these do fail and what happens when they run out of parts? Mine is off to repair as I type this.

Pete

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Brings home the point that these do fail and what happens when they run out of parts? Mine is off to repair as I type this.

Pete
😱 😱😱😱😱😱

I've never looked but there's no parts diagram for these on Lionel's website? Maybe it's time since these will be considered out of warranty, to release a parts list. Figure they would want this off their hands sooner than later anyway. Some good techs out there that could repair these, a few on this forum.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
There is essentially just one board in there. A couple of tiny daughter boards but really little anyone could repair other than the LCDs.

Pete

1 - 20 of 47 Posts