Model Train Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
TJ, Joe needs to reread the notice sent out to all registered Service Stations and Dealers. It states that REGISTERED Service Stations will continue to be offered parts at a discount and they will keep them on a list unless they decide to leave the system. Maybe Joe has heard something different since but I have yet to see that announcement. I one received was dated the 13th.

Pete
Yes,

You are right. After I re-read the message he did say that they could continue to do out of warranty or other repairs and purchase parts at a discount.

However without a listing on Lionels website how would anyone find these former Independent Service Stations. The only Dealer service stations are listed.

Joe did say that he haas not done any repairs on new stuff for over six months due to lack of parts.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
He is right about parts for new releases are not listed other than electronic boards and those are usually not listed until after the warranty period. Typically you have to call Lionel during that period to get those parts.
As for not being listed as a service station I understood that they will send out an email requesting you confirm you want to remain listed or not and even if you request not to be listed they will still recognize you as a service station unless you tell them you no longer want to do service.
Thats my understanding but we know things change for no apparent reason.

Pete

·
Registered
583 Posts
Just curious, and I wonder, would they be willing to let the average capable owner remove defective part and send in for a replacement part, as opposed to sending in the whole blasted unit? :unsure:
Nope. I asked this very question about my new Legacy USRA Pacific I got a few weeks ago that had a bad smoke fan. I had to send it back to NC after I had it all of a day. Hopefully Fedex is delivering it back to me tomorrow.

·
Registered
878 Posts
This parts issues has been an ongoing problem. Bob used to complain that even if he called Lionel, although most orders were over the internet, he had a hard time getting parts. I remember being in his workshop and there were numerous engines from a number of shops waiting for parts so he could repair them. Some in warranty and some out of warranty.

Many times he had to give his customers the bad news that parts are not and will not be available for recent production especially some of the least expensive engines. These owners basically have nothing more than an expensive door stop.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I’m not sure what Lionel will call the newly listed repair centers. If they attended and passed (hic) the test they got listed as “Independent Service Centers” capable of doing warranty work if they wanted to.

Now what are they, “Service Center‘s ” or just factory authorized, I’ll contact them tomorrow to find out who is factory authorized and where I can find their listed contact information.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts