Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
** I meant to post this in the Newbie section - apologies. I can't seem to move it or delete it. ***

Ok...I'm confused. I have two Life-Like loco's that are close in design to each other...or so I thought. One is a GP38-2 and one is a GP38-2 High Nose.

EVERY time I go over a turnout set to the diverging route, the first rolling stock (whatever it is) derails when I'm using the GP38-2 High Nose. Going straight it works fine. It also works fine with the GP-38-2.

The only difference I can see between the two (aside from the obvious) is the coupler on the High Nose is body mounted and it's truck mounted on the other (non-derailing) engine.

The really oddball thing is that the High Nose seems to make the turnout rails move when it goes through the turnout...and I think this is what's causing the derailment. I can't figure out why this is happening though.

Thoughts on how to address this?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Another thing you could look at on the High Nose would be whether or not the trucks are turning freely. If one of the trucks is sticking or getting bound up, you will have problems. That might explain why it is fine going straight, but has trouble while turning.

Chad

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Placement of thread looks fine to me

EVERY time I go over a turnout set to turn,
if you want to be all proper about it, its called "diverge" or "diverging route"

hard to tell but to me it sounds like problem with couplers, as if your loco doesn't allow enough lateral movement for it . which couplers are you using?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Responses to all:
- Turnout's are Bachmann EZ-Track Standard Remote Turnouts
- Trucks seem to be turning freely, although I'll check again this evening to confirm and possibly fix/modify as needed.
- The couplers are horn/hook couplers. Although the one on the engine is body mounted and, because of this, slightly different than the rest of my couplers (i.e., the coupling part is aligned differently to the 'stem' part since the coupling part needs to be lower than the normal coupler due to the body mounting).
- To address potential coupler height issues, I made a flexible thin wire 'chain' to connect the engine to the car immediately behind it, about 1cm in length. (Under tension, it pulled the cars fine and was flexible). At very low speed, it didn't derail. Under higher speed, it derailed.

In regards to wheel gauge - how do I check that (just measure wheel distance with a very fine ruler (I have one)? Also, once I find out if there is an issue...how in the heck do I fix it?

(And thanks tank. Fixed. ;) )

·
Registered
527 Posts
Necro...derailing problems can be tough to troubleshoot. There are obviously a whole lot of different things it could be. I don't have any experience with setting gauge on wheels, as I have never had to do it.

One could try some longer knuckle couplers (one on the loco, and one on the first car) and see if that makes a difference. It might give more side-to-side movement and not bind as easily. I would also look at the turnout and make sure it is switching fully. If it does not flip fully, it will derail. Do you have other turnouts? If so, does it derail on them? I guess you did say the other loco was fine, so maybe not a turnout issue. You said the trucks seem to turn freely...just make sure they swing the full range, and not stop because of an obstruction. I wish I could help more.

Chad

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
and they can be even tougher to troubleshoot when less then best equipment used, and frankly horn-hook is less then best. i would suggest to change over to knuckle couplers, but if this is not an option try to modify yours to have more lateral travel. you also might want to try using longer shanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well...the wire thing I made was actually loose wire (i.e, it could move both side to side and up and down). I'll try it with an even longer wire and determine the max. length needed to stop the derail and work from there since the cars go fine over the turnout on their own (i.e., pushed/pulled by hand).

·
Registered
399 Posts
I had the same problem with my ez-track turnouts. I purchased an nmra gauge for the turnouts. adjusted them and they work great. one other thing I did earlier was change the rear couplers on the locomotives to longer bachman plastic couplers. All of my other couplers are Kadee metal. I rarely have a derailment now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts