Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won the steam loco in the auction below. The engine has an M in the center of the boiler on the front. The boiler is cast and the cab is plastic. The tender has a metal (not cast) frame and plastic body. It uses nylon gears (worm gear driven). I was wondering if anyone could help me with some information about it. I am suspect if this is the proper tender, am I right? When was this loco made?

I like the loco and plan on using it regularly. Just looking for some history.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260441013904#ht_500wt_1182

·
Yard Master & Research
10,693 Posts

I saved it.

You are in Luck. I bought a 0-4-0 AHM Rivarossi back in the early 80's. I thouht you had a 0-6-0. All I can say is that it came with a slope back tender and 3 variations are listed on the box. I have the old 96 AT and SF The 96
is on the front boiler. You have an M????
The production could span decades. HO is massed produced and inexpensive. I am not even sure what drive it has.
I do have an info sheet and parts list for it. The parts list is dated 1974.

I could scan the paper and email it too you? Post Me
I have four pages scanned and ready.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are in Luck. I bought a 0-4-0 AHM Rivarossi back in the early 80's. I thouht you had a 0-6-0. All I can say is that it came with a slope back tender and 3 variations are listed on the box.
You just verified my thoughts on the tender. It did not look right for the loco. Especially since it was green and the loco is black. Since it is not the right one I think I will paint it and letter it for a custom line.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
What you have is a shifter, which is a switch engine. The various numbrs are for different roads. I believe it came in the roads noted. The tender is correct.

I think it has a motor located in the cab. Drive shaft to the wheels. AHM is not the highest quality engine. But I do have a 5 or 6 engines including (2) E7's and (3) steamers. One is a 2-8-8-2 Mallet that does a pretty good job on coal consists. Rivarossi also produced a "Red Box" later on. I also have 2-8-8-2 from that era. THAT engine has headed a consist of 237 coal cars on several occasion. Why 237? That's all of the coal cars I had at the time.

The newer engine has the motor in the boiler with "Athearn-like" gear towers driving the engines.

Some AHM engines, most in fact, get track power from the tender, while the Rivarossi "red box" have power pickup at the drive wheels. The "Red Box" units were avast improvement over the older siblings.

If it were mine, I'd leave the colors alone and just weather it heavily. Get some chalks and have at it. Using chalks allows you to make a few mistakes and still be able to 'fix" them. Just apply a dull coat when you have achieved the look you want.

Bob

·
Registered
241 Posts
If it has a worm gear on the motor and a plastic gear with the "M" in the front of the boiler. I should be an old Mantua engine. I have one like that I think, let me see if I can find it and take a pic.
The tender is not right unless they made a real early model of it, as that one looks to be for a 4-4-0 like the older Jupiter style engine.
Does the engine have a pick-up in the wheels in the tender?
Kevin

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tender is not right unless they made a real early model of it, as that one looks to be for a 4-4-0 like the older Jupiter style engine.
Does the engine have a pick-up in the wheels in the tender?
Kevin
Both the engine and the tender have pickups. One side of the locomotives wheels are solid. The other side has a plastic insert that is covered by an outer metal wheel. The insert insulates the wheels on the one side only. There is a black wire that is run to the frame of the tender. The tender has metal wheels on the side that the locomotive has the insulated ones on. The trucks on the tender a metal as is its frame. Because of this I believe that the locomotive picks up one rail and the tender the other. I cannot run the locomotive if the tender is not on the track.

I have a newer 4-4-0 Jupiter locomotive and the design of the tender is identical. The difference is that my Jupiter's is red and has a motor in it with a drive-shaft leading to the locomotive.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Kool, I was right, you have a Mantua engine.
Will get you a pic of mine in a few....
Kevin

·
Registered
241 Posts
Am I better of with a Mantua or the AMH/Riverosi it was advertised as? Not that it really maters since I like it anyways.
IMHO, I like the Old Mantua (pre-Tyco years), better than the early AHM stuff. I do, however like the Red Box Rivarossi stuff much better than these, but we are comparing apples to oranges in that case, lol. You have a good switch engine, when they are right they run very smooth.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I don't think Rivarossi made these engines in the "Red Box" line. I may stand corrected. AHM and Mantua are close in detail, but given the choice between similar engines between the two, I'd probably pick the Mantua. I have a few of both, but the Mantua just seems more durable. And I also think that they are more prevalent and, if parts are needed, much easier to find.

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts