Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My grandfather passed away almost 15 years ago and his collection has remained untouched since. My grandmother was just diagnosed with cancer and she felt that it was time to let some items go. (We have already picked out items that are to remain within the family). Being the computer wiz in the family put me at the top of the list when it came to finding homes for these.

I figured it would be best to offer first dibs to an actual model train community. I will be photographing and uploading the items with as much information as I have.
Although, I am desperately in need of the communities expertise since I can not seem to find information on some of these.

This is a link to my google drive. I have only photographed a couple cars (no locomotives just yet). The boxes seen in some of the pictures contain track, buildings, and assorted repair/build pieces.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4QcJSooV91wVVZhS215Z01abFk

Currently I am looking for more information and a possible price range for the locomotive in the attachment. I believe it is a Varney 2-8-8-4 Yellowstone Articulated.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice. I look forward to hearing from you all.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Brass Yellowstone

My grandfather passed away almost 15 years ago and his collection has remained untouched since. My grandmother was just diagnosed with cancer and she felt that it was time to let some items go. (We have already picked out items that are to remain within the family). Being the computer wiz in the family put me at the top of the list when it came to finding homes for these.

I figured it would be best to offer first dibs to an actual model train community. I will be photographing and uploading the items with as much information as I have.
Although, I am desperately in need of the communities expertise since I can not seem to find information on some of these.

I will update and post links to the gallery as soon as it is up.

Currently I am looking for more information and a possible price range for this locomotive. I believe it is a Varney 2-8-8-4 Yellowstone Articulated.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.
YoungNdumb:

First, if It's a Varney brand, it's old! Varney went out of business decades ago. Second it's
made of brass. (most mass-produced model trains are plastic) Brass ones were hand-made, in small lots of approx. 100-500 locomotives. Back when this one was built, it may have sold for about $300.00 but that's just my guess.
Being old, and brass, means it's rare. A collector MIGHT pay hundreds of dollars for it, OR NOT. It depends on factors I don't know that much about. Being old technology, it may not run well, especially compared to today's models. On the other hand, a true collector might never run it; just clean it up and put it on a shelf.
I'm assuming that this is an HO scale locomotive. That's good, it's the most popular size.
Check Ebay, and the "For Sale", sections of this, and other forums. You may even want to have it professionally appraised. Hopefully someone with more collector type knowledge will answer your question better than I can. Just don't throw/give it away, or sell it at a swap meet for $20.00! It does have value it's just a question of how much someone is willing to pay for it.

Hope that helps;

Traction Fan

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,167 Posts
I can't give you a value, but like said, the right collector might pay a good buck for it.

This site won't give you a value but it might help you with your search to learn more about the trains you have, http://hoseeker.net/gallery/index.p...=Varney-pre-war-bronze-Yellowstone-boiler.jpg

Some varney pictures there, click above the picture to get to the home page. You might find some literature on them and others.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,167 Posts
xxxxx delete this
I somehow edited and it ended up as a double post, a mod can delete this one if you ever see it.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,167 Posts
varneycatalog1957pg16.jpg

Page 16 in the 1957 catalog there. yellowstone 2-8-8-4 ( that is the wheel configuration ID)
Do you have the tender that goes with it? (the coal car?)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YoungNdumb:

First, if It's a Varney brand, it's old! Varney went out of business decades ago. Second it's
made of brass. (most mass-produced model trains are plastic) Brass ones were hand-made, in small lots of approx. 100-500 locomotives. Back when this one was built, it may have sold for about $300.00 but that's just my guess.
Being old, and brass, means it's rare. A collector MIGHT pay hundreds of dollars for it, OR NOT. It depends on factors I don't know that much about. Being old technology, it may not run well, especially compared to today's models. On the other hand, a true collector might never run it; just clean it up and put it on a shelf.
I'm assuming that this is an HO scale locomotive. That's good, it's the most popular size.
Check Ebay, and the "For Sale", sections of this, and other forums. You may even want to have it professionally appraised. Hopefully someone with more collector type knowledge will answer your question better than I can. Just don't throw/give it away, or sell it at a swap meet for $20.00! It does have value it's just a question of how much someone is willing to pay for it.

Hope that helps;

Traction Fan
My Grandfather was a huge fan of Varney and his collection definitely reflects that. It is HO scale as well as the rest of the collection. There are a couple rare, O-scale, Lionel trains, but those have been appraised and are staying in their display cases as family heirlooms.

I have checked ebay and the like, done reverse image searches, scoured archives/forums, and even purchased a Worthpoint subscription (which I highly recommend NOT doing).
The train community is my last hope for finding information on some of these so that I don't end up selling a $2,000 train for $100.

The whole collection has been kept in museum like conditions (climate/humidity controlled, no sunlight, etc). Since he was an avid collector and antique restorer most of the locomotives are completed and in good working order (the exception being the boxes of chassis, drives, couplers, etc. used for repairs).

I suppose my question now is... Where do I find collectors?

Anyways, thank you so much for the reply! Hopefully I'll get a few more locomotive pictures posted today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
View attachment 83890

Page 16 in the 1957 catalog there. yellowstone 2-8-8-4 ( that is the wheel configuration ID)
Do you have the tender that goes with it? (the coal car?)

Yes, I do actually have the tender that goes with it.
The problem I'm having now is getting an approximate value of an item like this.
I sure wish I had been old enough to learn this stuff when he was around.

Thank you for the information and reply. This is being printed right now. :)

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,167 Posts
You just posted the thread,wait a while. Shaygetz or someone might put an estimate on it.

I hear you on selling a $2000 train for $200 bucks. :(

Most of the time on ebay if you have something of value and just start it at 99 cents the collectors see it and bid accordingly.

I have seen it many times as I watch.
Sometimes when something is low I will put in a 2 or 3 hundred $$$ bid. I know the true worth and if I get it for that all the better to me. But 99% of the time the item sells for 10 times what I bid. I have lucked out a couple of times and in my book "stole" the item. Sometimes I do it to piss off the collectors.:p If I know it is worth something I will just keep raising the bid.:D I did get stuck once had to buy something one time but even at the price I paid I still ended up with a deal.
If it is truly worth bucks the collectors will bid .

As they did not make a lot at a time, they were not mass produced, the value goes up. I would say it is $500 at least. And I am estimating real low. I have a 2 smaller HO brass locomotives and both are in the $800 to $1000 range. Your locomotive is 2 of one of my brass locomotives.;)

There are not many old mom and pop hobby shops out where your at huh?

If you have a lot why don't you have them appraised?
You said you had the O appraised.

Come on tell us what the O are, your keeping them anyway.:D
There are a lot of members that would love to see your under glass, family heirlooms.:smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You just posted the thread,wait a while. Shaygetz or someone might put an estimate on it.

I hear you on selling a $2000 train for $200 bucks. :(

Most of the time on ebay if you have something of value and just start it at 99 cents the collectors see it and bid accordingly.

I have seen it many times as I watch.
Sometimes when something is low I will put in a 2 or 3 hundred $$$ bid. I know the true worth and if I get it for that all the better to me. But 99% of the time the item sells for 10 times what I bid. I have lucked out a couple of times and in my book "stole" the item. Sometimes I do it to piss off the collectors.:p If I know it is worth something I will just keep raising the bid.:D I did get stuck once had to buy something one time but even at the price I paid I still ended up with a deal.
If it is truly worth bucks the collectors will bid .

As they did not make a lot at a time, they were not mass produced, the value goes up. I would say it is $500 at least. And I am real estimating low. I have a 2 smaller HO brass locomotives and both are in the $800 to $1000 range. Your locomotive is 2 of one of my brass locomotives.;)

There are not many old mom and pop hobby shops out where your at huh?

If you have a lot why don't you have them appraised?
You said you had the O appraised.

Come on tell us what the O are, your keeping them anyway.:D
There are a lot of members that would love to see your under glass, family heirlooms.:smilie_daumenpos:
Haha! I like your style. I've done the same on ebay from time to time.

I figured it might take a bit of time to get an estimate, but I was surprised by how quick you all responded (not to mention, extremely grateful). This does give me a better idea of the items value for now.

I would have them appraised if there were an appraiser nearby that wasn't completely out of my price range. I'm a 25 year old freelance graphic/web designer & photographer (a.k.a - a starving artist). The closest town to me is about 10 miles out. The closest city, which is still small (est. Population - 45,000), is close to an hour away. So, unfortunately, there aren't very many options when it comes to mom and pop shops or even larger chain stores.

I'll try to take a little extra time photographing some of the items that I can attempt to give a little back to the site. I'm not sure how consistent i'll be able to stay with uploading, but I will do my best to put something up weekly.
As for now, I'm going to set up my equipment to snap a couple pictures.

Thanks again and keep an eye out for some future content. :)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
It will be very easy for you to get a idea of vslue for these items. Simply go on eBay and find out what similar items are going for. If you just want to put them on there you won't get ripped off, the items will find their own level as big ed says. I'm sure someone on here will give you an idea on the Varney. Just looking at the sheer size of the collection you have a mammoth task cataloging it and preparing it for sale. Maybe offer some of the freight cars and smaller items in lots. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Are you close enough to any larger city that may have
a train or hobby shop. Or perhaps a Model train club.
Those people could help you determine what may have
value. Check the forum listing train shows and see if there
is one close enough you could attend. Dealers from near
and far set up tables and sell used train locos, cars, and
buildings. You could talk with these people and get
useful advice. Some may want to buy the whole lot that
you want to sell, but they will offer a very low price.

But, as suggested, comparing what you have with similar
items on Ebay or Amazon will be a good way to set prices.

The HO cars will likely be very desirable. However, they are
not going to bring that much $. A typical HO used freight car
with knuckle (Kadee) couplers will top out at 10.00 per car,
but many will go for 3, 4 or 5 $ each. Some estate sales
package a group of say 10 cars for 50.00.

Once you have prices set and pictures of what you have you
can have free use of the FOR SALE OR TRADE section here
on the Forum. You must state a price (or better offer is ok)
and your terms for payment, packing and shipment.

If the track, turnouts and other track
accessories in those boxes is brass you won't have much value.
Nickel Silver is the preferred rail material now.

Don

1 - 12 of 12 Posts