Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here offer services for locomotive modifications? I have a Lionel JLC Greyhound Challenger that I would like a firefox glow added to. Would anyone be willing to add a firebox glow to it for a for a fair price, if I were to send it to you? I'll pay for shipping both ways, as well.

·
Admin
46,379 Posts
Where are you located. That's a pretty heavy locomotive, and it would be expensive to ship it a long distance for such a minor modification.

One issue to look at is how much room behind the motor is available to add the feature.

I use a module that I designed to add the feature, but it takes about 1/2" clearance behind the firebox, some locomotives don't offer that. My module has four independent flickering LED's in red, orange, and yellow to create the firebox effect.

I don't recall offhand what the JLC Challenger has, I haven't seen one of those on the bench for about a year.

Fashion accessory Technology Electronic device Jewellery Metal

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John, I am located in Louisville, Colorado. And even for a minor modification, I believe the payment is worth it when you're as detail-oriented as I am. I will accept any price you have for your services, if you are willing to modify it.

·
Admin
46,379 Posts
You might also consider some of the other more significant mods that you could make. Stuff like properly chuffing smoke, Rule-17 lighting, automatic cab light control, prototypical 4-chuffs/rev, etc. This also makes the shipping charge less painful. :)

I just noticed these have "work lights" also called "ground lights". With my Chuff-Generator upgrade, the ability to automatically control these is a possibility. The Super-Chuffer II is what creates the realistic smoke operation as well as the Rule-17 LED lighting and automatic cab light control.

·
Admin
46,379 Posts
I just hate to see you ship it across the country for one fairly simple upgrade. The JLC models are great looking locomotives, and they can be enhanced to have many of the features of Legacy without too much expense. With the Super-Chuffer upgrade, I normally give the smoke unit a "tune-up" to give you decent smoke volume as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.