Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Built this rack to store my spare locomotives:

Apparently they were not happy being consigned to artwork because when I got up this morning I found they tried to escape:

The cord holding them up deknotted. Other than my pride the only permanent damage was a few trucks broken beyond repair. C'est la vie.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Fairly sure that would have woken me up! Cool idea though, over got a few non runners that might look neat on a wall.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Attach a piece of 1/8” or ¼” luan to the back. That will keep the rack square. Screw through the luan into the studs. That should frustrate your engine’s vengeance.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Did it fall off pins, did pins/nails pull out of the wall...something broke? It's not clear to me what happened. Sorry hit happened to you...hopefully no major boo boos. Some things can be glued back on with some time, patience, and skill. If it helps a very tiny bit, I had something like that happen, except I pulled them down steadying myself on the shelf unit when I grabbed it for support. Had to send a PCM Y6b back to BLI to have the front engine replaced. I fixed the rest of the damage to three other engines.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
If you look inside the top shelf on his initial photo, you can see the white cord and screws holding it up. Apparently, he used an improper knot to tie the cord and it slipped out.

Apparently, the OP wasn't a boy scout... :D

·
Registered
420 Posts
I would not trust something like that to a cord for hanging. Screw it directly to the studs somehow. I like these display cases because my wood working skills aren't so great! Screws penetrate at least 1.5" into the stud.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boy scout and eight years in the Navy and I still can't tie a knot. Gonna have to come up with plan B to fix it to the wall.
. The train's in the basement and my bedroom is on the second floor so I didn't even know until I came down this morning.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,635 Posts
Find a simple metal bracket at a hardware store. Whatever you use a backing or bracket screw it to stud.
My Dad had the habit before adding sheetrock to nail scrap boards between studs in position to receive any screws for hanging something. Remember that next time you sheet rock a train room.:)

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have a similar storage rack that I fastened a piece of old 1/8" thick wood paneling on with several screws down the sides, then screwed to the studs with black dry wall screws in several places, plus put a ledger board on the wall for the rack to rest on. Similar to hanging kitchen cabinets on.

Kenny

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem solved. One by four stained like the rack and screwed to the wall through three studs, four angle braces also screwed to the wall. Been a week now, no failure. It is grooved for a backplate (being painted with landscapes) and plexiglass for the front.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i made a similar one, but i used plywood for the back insert, and screwed it to the studs directly ...no problems in seven years ...
i thought about plexi doors for the front, but my basement is pretty dust free, one less thing to worry about , lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts