Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i posted it all on ebay but....
since i am a member here and looking for information and getting great help already....

make an offer on what you want and if i accept I will close the auction on ebay down..... or just watch the auction...

I didnt want to post it all here and take the time then wait a week and have to post it on ebay... double the time.... i still have to go through about 50 refer/tankers/flatbeds,etc.......

hope this link works
http://shop.ebay.com/jesterjeff69/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$10 shipping? A tad high for me.

Good luck.

Bob
tell me of a cheaper way to ship then....

everytime i do ebay... i use fedex home delivery and it runs $9-$14 plus bubblewrap and sometimes a box if i have to buy one...

if i do usps priority it isnt much cheaper...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I get boxes free from USPS, order from their website. I use old plastic trash bags from the grocery store(free). I use USPS Flat Rate Box when possible. $4.95 anywhere in the lower 48.
Note: No box dimension can exceed 12".
Hint: The boxes from USPS are marked Priority. If shipping Flat rate, cut the boxes along the glue tab and fold them inside out. Tape securely. The post office will NEVER know, trust me.

FedEx and UPS are outta site with their pricing, though on large bulky items they are sometimes cheaper, therefore, a better choice.

I've never had a problem shipping USPS, though one engine broke off a horn in transit, but was still in the original box. The wadded up plastic bags seem to protect the trains more than bubble wrap or peanuts or both. I even wrap the trains in a sack them to protect them in case the weather is foreboding(read WET) and the postman leaves them on an unprotected porch while you work your 9-5. A saving grace for me on more than one occasion.

I've received merchandise in all kinds of boxes. The box doesn't have to look good, it just has to provide a vessel for shipment and a bit of protection. Just recently, a couple of weeks ago, in fact, I received a brass steam engine and tender shipped in a shoe box, a size 10 1/2D from Florsheim. Must have had 5# of tape on it. Wrapped like a mummy. And at least a dozen plastic grocery bags from WalMart. No bent parts and totally intact. Not even a dropped coupler. There is no rule that says you have to use bubble wrap, a new shipping box and such. As long as the item is protected and makes it to its destination in one piece. No one is going to judge you for using a shoe box, or "recycling" some other box, or "recycling" old grocery bags, as long as their item is unharmed. Think green, man. lol Save a tree. It really does keep shipping prices down, keeps YOUR costs down, and gets you more money from bidders on your items. That means more $$ for trains!!!!! Well, it does here since I fund my hobby(trains), for the most part, through my hobby(trains).

I've even gotten cars, in an original box, in padded envelopes. Though I don't recall exact shipping off hand, but $3.95 comes to mind.

I figure shipping as part of the cost for items, reasonable, I think. Afterall, that's the amount leaving the wallet to obtain the item. For instance, your Athearn HW Pullman "Bankers Club" car sold for about $10 new. Add the $10 for shipping, makes it $20. Would you pay twice the "new" price for one used? Just sayin'....

Again, good luck.

Bob

·
play every day
4,950 Posts
I use dirt cheap USPS First Class for shipping small light items like rolling stock... :)

USPS First Class Packages

1 ounce $1.22
2 ounces $1.39
3 ounces $1.56
4 ounces $1.73
5 ounces $1.90
6 ounces $2.07
7 ounces $2.24
8 ounces $2.41
9 ounces $2.58
10 ounces $2.75
11 ounces $2.92
12 ounces $3.09
13 ounces $3.26

A good part of ebay selling appeal is a low shipping charge. :):thumbsup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A good part of ebay selling appeal is a low shipping charge. :):thumbsup:

true.. hence the add $1 each shipping...

i have been burned on ebay before shipping via usps...
can you do delivery confirmation on non priority items?

if i do normal shipping and cant add delivery confirmation the other person can say they never got it and request their money back. I had that happen on a set of walkies and i was out $195!!!!

but on forums where you get to know others.... yes trust comes more into play...

i belong to paintball websites, truck sites and all... i just mailed 3 magazines for a tiberius tac 8 to a guy... no money exchanged... he got them and is sending me a 98 custom in trade....

i know the usps small box is SMALL and you maybe able to fit a car in there sideways.... for $4.95 shipping.... but there will be no room for bubblewrap and all that...

you have to use their box for the flat rate right? or are you saying if a box has no side over 12" then it can ship flat rate?
but like said as long as i can do delivery confirmantion....

if anyone here wants to bid on anything there... i will get you exact shipping to you via however you wish and boxing you wish.... so dont mind that part too much.. ill work with yall.....

i just had to get this stuff up on ebay.. as i need it gone (trying to cleanup) and i did set the stuff i want aside...so now all this stuff is piled up....

didnt have time to post them fs here and wait and all that....

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Confirmation costs $.75, I think. I charge $5.75 which includes confirmation. Insurance is the buyers option and responsibility. And as I said, boxes are free online from USPS. Recycle materials for packing. Overhead is minimal

I can fit (6)40'-50' box cars in car size boxes easily in a USPS Small Flat Rate Box. If one wrapped and packed carefully one could get more not using an original box.

You may be charging only $1 for additional items but one would have to buy 5-6 to see any relief.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts