Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My layout is going to be steam oriented with 1940-50 logging and mining Is there any manufacturer that sells period ore and logging cars for that period? I am not good at scratch building and would like to just buy rolling stock. Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
*laughs* Dagnarble, we are deferring to our brother Choo Choo because it's what he lives and breathes. Just make sure you don't give him your cell phone number: he'll be calling you late at night to discuss it! (When he asked for mine, I gave him the number of that Nigerian Prince who keeps emailing me about sending me money.)

·
play every day
4,950 Posts
My layout is going to be steam oriented with 1940-50 logging and mining Is there any manufacturer that sells period ore and logging cars for that period? I am not good at scratch building and would like to just buy rolling stock. Thanks for any suggestions
Hi dag, :)

I'm obviously not the one to consult on prototypical or historical time period accuracy with my combination electric, mining, and logging train... :rolleyes:

For mining, I like the old fashioned Roundhouse 26' ore cars...

The Mantua classics logging cars are nice even though they're actually 1860's...

Kadee log buggies are really cool because you can put your own logs on them, but you need to put them together...

My advice is to just get whatever you think looks cool... that's what I do. :)

Take Care,

Greg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cars

Thanks Greg the pictures helped give me an idea of what to look for. I'll just put tjcruiser and recker's comments down to pure jealousy. Now I'll go alookin. Grant

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Grant,

OK ... I admit it! I've been drooling over Greg's cars and layout since he started posting his first pics. Guilty as charged ...

TJ

·
play every day
4,950 Posts
Thanks Greg the pictures helped give me an idea of what to look for. I'll just put tjcruiser and recker's comments down to pure jealousy. Now I'll go alookin. Grant
Cool, Grant... there's lots to look at.:)

My favorite shops are Hobbylinc.com and ModelTrainStuff.com. They both offer impeccable service and reasonable prices.

The Mantua old time logging cars are only about $10 each. And the little old fashioned Roundhouse ore cars I got off of ebay for $7 each. Almost everything I have is either Mantua or Roundhouse, with a few Bachmanns...

Greg

·
play every day
4,950 Posts
This one is a ready to run $11 Bachmann bobber caboose from Hobbylinc.com...

I sandbalsted the undercarriage and repainted it.

The other is quite unique...

It's a 57 year old all metal twin truck bobber caboose by Model Engineering Works. Got the kit for $43 with some hot and heavy bidding on ebay. It was really fun to build. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts