Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of 7 Heavyweight passenger cars. They look nice but are very long. I am in the planning stages of my layout. problem is that there is one area where to fit what I want I have to place a 15 degree radius turn. The train is partially hidden at this point so cosmetics is not a main concern here. Will this tight of a turn with this long of a car cause derailments? It is on a ramp to a second level. All of the other corners have a radius of 20 (used flex track for those).

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hate to say it but I now know for sure that these cars will not work on any tight curves. Unfortunately they derail on 20 degree turns. The corners of the cars hit each other and force them off of the track.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I'd worry more about radius than degrees. A 15 degree section with an 18" radius is damn tight. Whereas, with a 24"-30" radius it would be much more manageable. The chord of a 24"-30", 15 degree section is MUCH longer than that of a 18" radius section. And the arc is longer too.

As I have said earlier, I do have short radius turns on my layout and must watch what I run on those lines. Most of the turns on the layout are at least 24" radius. Some are larger radius, up to 46". One of the benefits of flex track.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts