Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I entered the hobby in HO a long time ago. My railroad was modest and i enjoyed assembling engine kits especially the midsized engines offered by Roundhouse and Bowser. They were great because the ability to transverse small radii without out looking silly and they did not over power the layout and they could pull.

I got into Large Scale for a long time, but i have moved into a smaller house.....thus back to HO....and a mid sized layout...

Looking for motive power and everything is now big to huge engines! What happened to the demand for the smaller 2-6-0's, 4-6-0's 2-6-2's, Atlantics,etc. There are consolidations....an abundance of them....but that is about it. If you model the 1870's Bachmann has its American.....But what has happened to the short line stuff of the 1920's to the 1950's? Does every one have huge layouts or belong to a large club?....just an observation. I love a 4-6-0....all railroads used to have them!

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Of the prominent 2-6-0's available, Bachmann offers a nice one which sells for $140 to $200, depending on whether D.C. or DCC w/sound.
Then Rapido's new version is more modern, and MSRP's for about twice that price, but it's very sweet (on reserve).

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
BTW, although Bachmann rolling stock has a bad rep for poor detail, their locomotives are quite acceptable... I have several of their diesels.
Their only knock is underpower. Added weight helps, but steamers don't lend themselves to weight supplement as well as diesels.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for that info Starter....i have looked at the Rapido sight.....but i do not see a 2-6-0....can you give me a link? Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup.....Bachmann' small engines are quite nice....but they date from the early 1900's i am hoping for something about 20 years newer....i do have the Bachmann engines and enjoy them.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sir, I'm not sure what you refer to..
Do you mean, where are the modelers who run the steam engines you list ? Or do you mean, why are they not being manufactured ?!...
Ironically I think I can safely say neither has disappeared !!! There are tons of steam being made today or at least available one way or another, O, Sn3, G, thru Z and especially HO and N...
If you mean, "Where are the guys who model steam both small like 0-4-0s thru Ten Wheelers, to Connies, to large J3a thru y6b, Mountain types and Daylights ? ", they are all over the place in homes, clubs, Mags and Vids !! And if certain types are not found available from the common Manus, there are loads of brass models, some even complete with DCC sound, to boot !!
So, please tell us what you are alluding to ..M

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am basically lamenting the scarcity of small to mid - sized engines of the 1920's to the 50's. Bachmann DOES make the mogul and and ten wheeler, but they are from an earlier era. Their American is from the civil war era. Yes, many manufactures make consolidations from my target era, but where are the 2-6-2's, Atlantics, ten wheelers, and Moguls from that era?

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Lots of Proto 2000 0-6-0’s and 0-8-0’s out there on the used market.....and they are excellent locomotives, even used......I’ve never come across one that has been abused.....

They are not cheap even used, but worth every penny.....

·
Registered
9,768 Posts
The time of manufacturers making huge production runs which resulted in lots of inventory at wholesalers and retailers is over. Production runs are now scaled to demand. If you see something you want, pre-order it, or you risk not getting it. If you can't find what you want, especially if it's something that used to be available, try asking the manufacturers to either re-run an older version or produce a new one. They do listen if they think there's demand there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup CTV....have preordered the Rapido 4-6-0. Hope there is enough demand. Thanks all for the responses.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just thought......Motive power similar to that used by the Maryland and Penn RR would be a great prototype.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Don't overlook the Bachmann 2-10-0 Decapod or the BLI I1sa 2-10-0, and of course MTH and BLI 2-8-0. They are larger than the Mogul/Prairie/Baltic/Atlantic configurations, but they are still relatively small. If you want some only-you-know-it surprises to tell someone who who challenges you over the subject, the Pennsy's Hippos had more tractive effort than a UP Challenger did with four cylinders and a higher horsepower boiler.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the suggestion mesenteria. I actually do have the Bachmann 2-10-0 because it is really quite small.... especially compared to most of the BLI stuff..... exception of course being the consolidation. It is a nice size engine with great pulling power. The Bachmann 2-10-0 has some quality control problems and does not have the pulling power of the BLI consols... in fact i think the Bachmann consolidations pull a tad more than their 2-10-0.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
...have preordered the Rapido 4-6-0. Hope there is enough demand.
If your order was accepted, chances are you've secured one.
The only question is... when it'll be shipped.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i pre ordered from Trainworld.....that should do it?.....right? I think Tony's Xchange says will arrive 2020....but i read someplace else it is only a survey to see if there is a demand for them.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
From Rapido's website:

"Update on the CNR H-6 Project: This project is on hold for now, but we are still accepting pre-orders and will start tooling once we have reached enough orders for the H-6 project to be viable."

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Actually, there are two ten-wheelers coming from Rapido....the CPR (D10) version is the first out, as it is now in the tooling stage, and the CNR (H6) version is still in the design stage.....the CPR version has a 2021 delivery date.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts