Model Train Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Great! I have the CPR (D10) on pre order with train world...as i hold my breath 馃槃. Thanks for your reply., O.H.

Registered
i pre ordered from Trainworld.....that should do it?.....right? I think Tony's Xchange says will arrive 2020....but i read someplace else it is only a survey to see if there is a demand for them.
Yes, that should do it. A place like Trainworld will consolidate their pre-orders, and maybe a few more for stock, and pass that to the manufacturer.

Registered
Yup.....Bachmann' small engines are quite nice....but they date from the early 1900's i am hoping for something about 20 years newer....i do have the Bachmann engines and enjoy them.
You might want to look again, Bachmann makes different versions of the ten-wheeler. The one you probably saw is the low boiler with the short tender. They also have another version in the same number sequence that is a high boiler and larger tender. Also for consideration, their current line is cheaper, but of lower detail. If you have some patience, you can find the Spectrum line on ebay which are more detailed but no longer produced (I have a pair of these in the low boiler version and they're good crawlers). Both lines also have unpainted versions in case you want to do your own custom line. They are also offered with DCC already installed but I opted to install my own Tsunami 2 decoders in them (a very tight fit in the smaller tender, so I ripped out the interface board and wired up the decoder directly).

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks M.D. I have looked for them from a couple of places and the Consolidation does not seem to be available. I have seen the reviews and they do look good.

Registered

Registered
I entered the hobby in HO a long time ago. My railroad was modest and i enjoyed assembling engine kits especially the midsized engines offered by Roundhouse and Bowser. They were great because the ability to transverse small radii without out looking silly and they did not over power the layout and they could pull.

I got into Large Scale for a long time, but i have moved into a smaller house.....thus back to HO....and a mid sized layout...

Looking for motive power and everything is now big to huge engines! What happened to the demand for the smaller 2-6-0's, 4-6-0's 2-6-2's, Atlantics,etc. There are consolidations....an abundance of them....but that is about it. If you model the 1870's Bachmann has its American.....But what has happened to the short line stuff of the 1920's to the 1950's? Does every one have huge layouts or belong to a large club?....just an observation. I love a 4-6-0....all railroads used to have them!
As a kid I rode the NP down to Colfax, behind a 4-6-0 mixed train

Registered
I was in the same position you are two years ago. I'm more fond of building things than running trains so I wanted to build the wood and metal engine kits I remember from the 70's. I started buying old kits from Ebay that hadn't been built yet. I stay away from plastic as much as possible and kept DC because I figured it would be easier. Anyway there are still wood kits being manufactured, for example Labelle and now there are laser cut kits such as American Model Builder and Better Than Scratch. The old kits can be challenging because of age and missing parts but I'm having a great time building them. Here's what I suspect is the oldest kit I've built so far, a Megow B&O wagontop boxcar:

You mentioned 4-6-0, here are three Ten Wheelers, a Tyco an Aristocraft and a more modern Bachmann:

I did decide to use modern Kato Unitrack, it gives me a great deal of flexibility in setting up the layout. Anyway, if you want to relive the old days when you started model railroading it's possible.

Registered
You do very nice work.......and may I say, you have way more patience than I could ever hope for...... :)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts