Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I bought a H16-44 locomotive (Atlas) but I lacked a side, front, and rear hand rail. This hand rail is no longer for sale. So what similar hand rail can I use instead ?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Probably fashioning your own from styrene and / or wire would be the best bet. Handrails are pretty generic, but if you can find a picture of a prototype, that will help.

I find it interesting that the model doesn't even appear to have holes for the stanchions to be mounted, though.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Some H16-44s didn't have a handrail on the outside of the walkway. Instead it was mounted on the loco body/shell (like on steamers), which is the case with yours.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Some H16-44s didn't have a handrail on the outside of the walkway. Instead it was mounted on the loco body/shell (like on steamers), which is the case with yours.
Actually, many early diesels had the long handrail mounted on the body.....when out-shopped later in their lives, the handrails went to the outside of the frame, likely for crew safety reasons....early SW7’s come to mind also.....

So, the loco in the OP’s pic is correct for an early just delivered H16-44.....

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
So, bottom line is that there isn't a set of running board-mounted handrails for this locomotive, nor should there be.

Which would explain the lack of holes for them that I noted in my initial response.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Correct.....although almost every old photo I could find of early H16-44’s had end handrails in place, even if they had no side handrails.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts