Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on facebook market place and picked it up this weekend . There was only one picture listed and it was not very good so I went to see for myself. Wow! The owner wanted 150.00. As I unpacked the box I was amazed. The items were in tact but will need refurbishing. I know this will take some time but will enjoy sharing it with all of you. I will post my progress. My wife just loves all this stuff on our dining room table.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Nice find, that should keep you busy over the winter. The good thing about those items, is that all of them can be made to operate again due to the repair parts available for them. Good luck and keep us posted as you dig into them.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,417 Posts
Yep nice, did you try to offer less?
The way they were just tossed into the box says a lot about the seller and trains. :D

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I am back temporarily. There are some interesting details in the mix. First there is a 736 MoPac operating stock car but no stock yard. Next all the track clips such as the 707 for the 758A Sam, the 696 track trip for the Bell Danger Signal and the 690 track power clip are all there. Other items are the Water Tank is early production because it has the old style control button. The uncoupler is the less common yellow version. Both the 758A and the more desirable 752A have white control buttons. I have seen a few white buttons for Sam but that is the first one I have seen with a 752A. Those die cast signs are from the #30 Highway Sign set, variation A. There should be 5 yellow and 3 white. I posted pictures of an all white sign variation of the #30 set last week.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately I did not show everything but I do have a stockyard and a complete herd. I already have a stockyard with a 736 stock car. It is not my top priority so I will refurbish it when I have time. Thank you for your input.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Just for info that is the 4 rail fence variation which is less common than the 3 rail fence variation. It looks in good shape, just a careful cleaning and reinstalling the windows needed.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Great purchase. Good mixture. Nothing there that can't be made to operate again. $150 was a good price I think. That 4 rail stock yard is indeed hard to come by. I have 4 of those stock yards but only one is a 4 rail fence and it needs a little work. So I guess that means the chances of finding a 4 fence stock yard are 1 in 4??

·
Registered
456 Posts
Nice find. I look forward to seeing them restored.

I look through fb market place and craigslist all the time for HO. We've come up with hundreds of dollars worth of stuff for free and hundreds more for practically free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this may not be the proper place to ask this----does anybody know where I can purchase S scale decals of Pennsylvania diesel locomotives. email me at [email protected]. I hope I didn't break any rules here. So in advance---Thanks, leona1

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yeah, that looks like a box full of fun for $150! Lots of good stuff there. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of the locos is a 290 body shell only. Thank you for your welcome. The date stamped on the inside of the shell is February 1950. The other loco is a complete 290. I have not cracked it open yet to see what date is stamped on the inside. The tender has no other distinguishing marks other than American flyer on the side. I am not that experienced yet to be able to distinguish between different models. I'm sure there was a ton of 290s made.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
One of the locos is a 290 body shell only. Thank you for your welcome. The date stamped on the inside of the shell is February 1950. The other loco is a complete 290. I have not cracked it open yet to see what date is stamped on the inside. The tender has no other distinguishing marks other than American flyer on the side. I am not that experienced yet to be able to distinguish between different models. I'm sure there was a ton of 290s made.
The tender for a 290 should only have American Flyer on the side, no heralds.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I decided to work on the 752a seaboard coal loader. I dismantle all the components from the metal base because I wanted to be bead blast all the rust and paint off the base surface. I purchase black crackle paint and green accessory paint from port line hobbies to maintain the original finish. with some trial-and-error I was able to get it pretty close.I cleaned and polished all the component pieces. I repainted the tower, chute, clamshell, and storage bin. Upon reassembly I had some issues with the clamshell. Thank-you Cramden and Trackman for your help. Some things just work on gravity. My next project will be the 290 locomotive.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Your coal loader looks great. Good job. I have a 290 that needs to be repainted.
Lots of paint flaking. I will get to it someday.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts