Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching for controllers and I have found something I'm thinking about there is a digitrax zephyr DCS 50 and the dcs51. I see the dcs51 I can change programming the CV variables in the locomotives changing the speeds the breaking the sound volume and a few other things. Will the DCS 50 do this? Or just a dcs51. Now I know I can get even higher in that will do it all but I'm not looking to spend $300 LOL. And is 125 too much to spend on a dcs51?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I use the DCS51 and like it a lot, will do everything I want or need it to do.
$125.00 is a good price if it's in good shape.
One thing about the DCS51 is you will need a programing track booster for most sound locos.
No booster you'll need to program on the main track.

Magic

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would look at this one

Hi
I have the DCS52 and I can't program my sound diesels unless I use a program track with a 1k resistor on it and even then they don't work all the time. I would look at the brand new unit that jsut came out, it has a built in booster system. Otherwise your going to spend the money for that unit and then another 100 bucks for a booster for your program track
It is called the Zepher Xpress and it is all digital.
Just a thought from someone who had DCC for a few years.
Spend it now and be happy rather than I wished I would have
Good Luck
Bill

·
Registered
682 Posts
My preference is for the Roco "z21 Start" (white box) that works with any iPhone, iPad, Android phone, or Android tablet. I'm in the minority on this, because although the z21 is popular in Europe, it hasn't been promoted heavily here in the USA. But it's as viable a system as any other, perhaps moreso because of its graphical interface.

The z21 Start "box" can be had for $100 or less from ebay (you have to buy it from Europe), and you'll need the companion TP Link router with z21 software (about $40 more). And a couple of "Euro-to-USA" plug converters ($2 from China).

Go to YouTube and watch a few videos about it.

I could never use a handheld device with 20 buttons after using the z21. But perhaps that's just me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts