Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever seen a railcar truck-mounted generator? It's pulley-powered from a bearing cap fitting.
It was mostly used on caboose trucks to charge a bank of batteries for heat and light while on standby, or lengthy waits on passing sidings.
I have a photo of one on a Cotton Belt caboose. I can't upload it because it's in webp format, and I don't have an app to convert it.
Somebody at the club says it was offered by Bowser and Detail Associates some years ago, but I can't dig it up.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FWIW...
CalScale offered one in the '70's, but it was a hideous brass blob, that couldn't be glued to anything.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I saw an article online from April 1948 "Railway Age" magazine, describing a contemporary Mo-Pac caboose generator system, with a 3kw, 32VDC, belt-connected, axle-driven generator made by Safety Car Heating and Lighting Company. The gen charged a 16-cell, 300Ah Exide battery (32V?), feeding a DC/AC motor/alternator supplying AC (probably 110V) for the radio communication equipment.
More than what was asked, but I find the details interesting... :D

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Craig at Bluford Shops is sending me a few.
Thanks for the info! (y)

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Most Era II Deutsche Reichsbahn passenger wagons had these generators. I have one that models this. These were not ran off of the bearing cap, but on a pulley located on the axle. The generator was mounted under the wagon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts