Model Train Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband has been doing model railroading for over 40 years....recently we were watching a program about model building. We saw a tool someone was using. It was a wire cutter/splicer. It was able to cut a section of the wire out in the middle.....and take the casing off the wire. Like if you needed to join wires in the middle. Not sure I am explaining this right. We want to take 2 wires and make it look like a "T". join the bottom portion of the "T" to the top portion.....splice that small section on the top part and the end of the bottom part and connect. Is there such a tool?

·
Registered
96 Posts
A "snapping jaw" wire stripper would do the job. Don't know the exact name of the tool. The plier jaw comes down on theleft side grabbing the wire. the 2nd jaw, the wire stripper, then comes down. Squeezing the handle then pulls thge insulation to the right, exposing s center section. You would have to solder quickly as the insulatuion could creep back.

All professional el;ecronic shops used this tool. I cost about $60 about 10 years ago. You could find it in a professional tool catalog under "Wire strippers".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts