Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an MTH 0-8-0 steam engine with tender (#30-1112LP), Chicago Northwestern line. The engine is in great shape, runs smoothly forward, neutral and back, smokes like it's new. However, the tender sound hardware has been modified and produces no sound. There's no volume control potentiometer, there's no 9V battery clip to power the board. There's a board and speaker there, yes, but it's not doing anything. No horn, whistle, or bell sounds, no engine sounds and no rail or yard sounds. So I'm looking for an MTH tender for sale by itself if anyone has one. Maybe I can just take my CNW shell and switch it with the shell of another tender. Or recommendations where I can buy a new hardware set to replace whatever has been removed. I don't need a sound upgrade, but just want to get sound restored to it. thanks all.

·
Admin
43,798 Posts
Exactly how was the hardware modified? It sounds like the Protosound 1 board was removed from the tender and they just added a conventional reverse unit to do the motion control. Pictures of the boards in the locomotive and tender would be useful.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These first two images are of the tender with no sound. Is this a stock configuration or has it been modified?

Now below, for comparison, is the Protosound 1.0 equipped tender:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In order to modify the non-sound tender, is there a kit to add? Or a kit that replaces the entire insides?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
The board in your tender appears to be an E unit, not a sound board. Since its a conventional engine you could add an ERR Railsounds board or Williams True Blast plus or try and find a Proto 1 setup.
Pete

·
Admin
43,798 Posts
The board is the plain-Jane QSI reverse board, there might have been a simple horn board also, that's a typical MTH configuration from the 90's. You can add pretty much any conventional sound board to equip it with sound. Obviously, to get decent sound with chuffing, etc. the cost will go up some.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts