Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My youngest son is quite the little model train enthusiast, and I just built him a small 4x4 HO layout on caster wheels that he keeps under his bed. I had a couple old Bachman F units from the 1980s that I brought back to life for him to use, but I was hoping to find him a couple locomotives to add a little variety, but the prices on eBay seem outrageous (or I am getting too cheap :laugh:).

I’m not looking for anything remotely high end and I am not afraid to do maintenance to get them running, again. Just looking for stuff like old Tyco/Mantua, AHM, and the likes that I can get running to keep his interest and love of model trains growing. If you have anything that fits the bill, send me a message.

Thanks!
JP

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Try Athearn Blue Box

I've bought several Athearn Blue Box recently, ebay, yard sale and other. Only got one lemon.

My best runner was an F7 for $10. I've got 18" radius curves.

If you simply want a second toy-like locomotive, I can dig through my stuff and find a Life-Like diesel.

And I think I see a straight section of track in your loop.
If you replace the straight with a Peco power routing turnout(switch), you'll be able to park a second locomotive on a short stub siding without any additional DC power wiring. Of course you would need to pick the first loco off of the mainline to drive the second loco back out of the siding.

What type of couplers are on your locomotive and cars?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've bought several Athearn Blue Box recently, ebay, yard sale and other. Only got one lemon.

My best runner was an F7 for $10. I've got 18" radius curves.

If you simply want a second toy-like locomotive, I can dig through my stuff and find a Life-Like diesel.

And I think I see a straight section of track in your loop.
If you replace the straight with a Peco power routing turnout(switch), you'll be able to park a second locomotive on a short stub siding without any additional DC power wiring. Of course you would need to pick the first loco off of the mainline to drive the second loco back out of the siding.

What type of couplers are on your locomotive and cars?

Thanks for your reply, Dennis (and for my question on the turnout on the HO forum, which is for my basement layout). Everything I passed on to my little guy has good ol’ horn hooks — mainly my Tyco brown box rolling stock I started with in the 70s and early 80s that has survived. Funny, the BN F7 from Bachmann still runs quite well after all these years. It has no real pulling power and the gears are fragile, but on a 4x4 layout, he’s not running that big of a train. I gave him 2 other F7s, one more Bachmann, and a lousy running Tyco Power Torque (I can’t stand that motor design). I like your idea of the small siding. Maybe we’ll do that as part of his Christmas gift.

I appreciate you checking to see if you have any old locos. Let me know what you come up with and what you’d like for them.

JP

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Something like this.
With the two turnouts aligned for outer loop running, the inner section of track will be dead (not zero volts, but both rails will have the same voltage and an engine parked there will not move.)

With both turnouts aligned for the inner loop, the outside portion (with the re-railer) will be dead. The Peco turnouts are spring loaded so they stay put if you move them by hand.

This allows running one train, parking another.
No extra wires to run.

There are some complications hiding which a grownup may be able to handle.
For example, you cannot have one turnout aligned to outer and the other aligned to inner without causing a short circuit.

Also, when track gets dirty, you lose power from the points.

Read through this...
http://www.berretthill.com/trains/Papers/Entries/2008/1/1_Wiring_Turnouts_For_Uninterrupted_Operation.html

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much, Dennis. I’ll hold onto this for when we do the upgrade on my son’s small layout.

As for my larger basement layout referenced in my other post, the switch that’s been giving me trouble is not in an area where I can do a hand-thrown switch, and I haven’t figured out the Tortoise switch machines and how I can rig one up since my layout is 2” foam over plywood. The darn Atlas snap switches have been convenient (albeit ugly), but I have couple small locomotives that just don’t like them. One of these days when I get some time, I need to tackle this issue.

JP

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Tyco silver streak

How about this SIlver STreak.
Custom streamlined version (hand rails missing)
Calculate shipping from Atco NJ to your placeand 'Show me the money"

Also notice that the Union Pacific F7 is blocked from moving due to PECO turnout alignment.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The Silver Streak is on it's way.
My granddaughter did not want to give it up.
Postage was $7.25.

I like your suggestion about sending something tangible back rather than currency.
I've got two boxcars that had the right side doors stolen, hobo's probably hauled them off to the Big Rock Candy Mountain. Got any boxcar doors gathering dust?

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awww, that’s a great photo. It’s hard to resist the Silver Streak appeal. Thanks so much for sending it off. I half expect I’ll wake up in the middle of the night to the sounds of my son running it in his room after it arrives.

I really enjoy doing trades in my hobbies — so much more fun than exchanging cash. After model trains, my other hobby is vintage outboard motor restoration, and most of my collection has come about through trading over the past 10 years. I should absolutely have some box car doors to send you ... let me do a little digging.

Thanks so much, Dennis!

JP

·
Registered
258 Posts
I can’t resist chiming in.....

How about this SIlver STreak.
Custom streamlined version (hand rails missing)
Calculate shipping from Atco NJ to your placeand 'Show me the money"

Also notice that the Union Pacific F7 is blocked from moving due to PECO turnout alignment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk0r03pBjCs
I just have to chime in on this. The Tyco Silver Streak was my very first train set. I can not recall the year this was purchased for me by my parents as a Christmas gift. I will guess being conservative that it had to be around 1985 when I was 13 years old. I still have that engine, rolling stock, caboose, track and power pack that came with the set.

That very set is what started it all for me. Making me a model train enthusiast to this day some 33 years later and going strong! 👍

·
Registered
496 Posts
After model trains, my other hobby is vintage outboard motor restoration, and most of my collection has come about through trading over the past 10 years....

JP
Hello, I just happened to stumble upon this revelation of yours. I am parting out an early 80's Chrysler 140 HP outboard. If you are interested in any parts let me know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello, I just happened to stumble upon this revelation of yours. I am parting out an early 80's Chrysler 140 HP outboard. If you are interested in any parts let me know.
Thanks for thinking of me. My outboards are all 30HP or under, but I do like the Chrysler outboards. Try posting a For Sale ad on AOMCI.ORG. I’m a member there and lots of guys find parts through it. The website just went through a major overhaul, so it still has some kinks being worked out.

JP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts